Help please (1 Viewer)

Hipeople

HSC
Hey,
I have a year 11 English exam soon and we need to write a creative (they will give the option of imaginative, discursive, persuasive, informative, or a hybrid text). and a reflection. We were given 4 stimulus and they can choose any one of those. I want to memorise some pre-prepared essay but how on earth am I supposed to do that for a creative??
Here's the 4 stimulus

Please help. Thank you

Attachments

Cherryy9

HSC
Hey!
I know people often say that memorising for creatives is really difficult. However I managed to get 14/15 for my trial creative and 93 in my HSC. I think the best way to do this is to find a common theme throughout each stimulus and write a good generic creative and reflection. Then write some ways to tune this creative to each stimulus, so that in the exam you can write write it a bit different or so you can add to your reflection. This can be achieved through finding a metaphor through an image for instance.
I am an English advanced tutor, so if you need further help, feel free to reach out!
Good Luck!

Hipeople

HSC
Hey!
I know people often say that memorising for creatives is really difficult. However I managed to get 14/15 for my trial creative and 93 in my HSC. I think the best way to do this is to find a common theme throughout each stimulus and write a good generic creative and reflection. Then write some ways to tune this creative to each stimulus, so that in the exam you can write write it a bit different or so you can add to your reflection. This can be achieved through finding a metaphor through an image for instance.
I am an English advanced tutor, so if you need further help, feel free to reach out!
Good Luck!
Thank you!!
That's what I plan to do but since there is 4 different text type options that they could be asking (imaginative, discursive, persuasive, informative, or a hybrid text), what do you suggest I do? Should I memorise one essay that I can turn into any of these types or do I memorise an essay for each type. If I memorise one essay, how would I adapt the style in my exam.

Cherryy9

HSC
I personally have never seen an informative be asked for. In terms of creative and discursive you could make a hybrid text that fits into both catergories and slightly modify in exam to fit into which ever. For instance, for discursive add some rhetorical questions or some asides and for creative add some more descriptions. In terms of persuasive it maybe best to find anything you may want to persuade the audience on- this can be the same thing you are discussing on your discursive and describing in your creative. However, the modality may differ. Often times, teachers will hint at the two it can be. Do you think that it is more likely to be creative or discursive, or are you completely unsure?

Hipeople

HSC
I personally have never seen an informative be asked for. In terms of creative and discursive you could make a hybrid text that fits into both catergories and slightly modify in exam to fit into which ever. For instance, for discursive add some rhetorical questions or some asides and for creative add some more descriptions. In terms of persuasive it maybe best to find anything you may want to persuade the audience on- this can be the same thing you are discussing on your discursive and describing in your creative. However, the modality may differ. Often times, teachers will hint at the two it can be. Do you think that it is more likely to be creative or discursive, or are you completely unsure?
Tbh, I'm completely unsure 😭 😭 😭. I feel like it might be discursive tho cuz we spent more time on that in class but I can be completely wrong. Maybe I'll memorise both in case since my teacher said that we don't have to write a lot (around 250-300 words).

Cherryy9

HSC
250-300 words is very little for advanced. What is the mark ratio eg, is the creative 10 and the reflection 10?

Hipeople

HSC
250-300 words is very little for advanced. What is the mark ratio eg, is the creative 10 and the reflection 10?
Honestly, yeah I agree, she said like around a page handwritten for the creative and I don't know how long for the reflection. The ratio is
Written response - 15%,
Reflection Statement - 10%.
It's probably cuz she is really against pre-written essays and she wants to encourage writing on the spot and the exam is 55 minutes so..
I don't really know tbh. I'll send you the notification

Cherryy9

HSC
Honestly, yeah I agree, she said like around a page handwritten for the creative and I don't know how long for the reflection. The ratio is
Written response - 15%,
Reflection Statement - 10%.
It's probably cuz she is really against pre-written essays and she wants to encourage writing on the spot and the exam is 55 minutes so..
I don't really know tbh. I'll send you the notification
Ok, I briefly looked at the assessment notification. I see that there will be a question and other things given to you on the day. So I think, that if you really really want to memorise, it is best to come up with one generic piece that fits roughly into a main idea that can be found in every stimulus. Once this is composed, you have enough time to create four seperate versions for each stimulus. In doing this, try to make the piece a discursive creative hybrid. The four pieces should be very similar with a few sentences changed to fit better into each stimulus. This will make it easier for you to remember on the day. From here you can go and see how each text can be changed (few sentences, modality, integrating rhetorical questions) to fit the new text types. In terms of the reflection, it is best to create a generic reflection, that fits with the marking rubric and the key ideas and themes in your main text. You then for each of the stimulus and text types can note down things you may want to reflect on in the exam.

I hope this helps, but this is what I would do personally. I understand it is a bit difficult to understand and explain a course of action for this assessment task without an online lesson. Nevertheless, I hope you are slightly more confident!

Hipeople

HSC
Ok, I briefly looked at the assessment notification. I see that there will be a question and other things given to you on the day. So I think, that if you really really want to memorise, it is best to come up with one generic piece that fits roughly into a main idea that can be found in every stimulus. Once this is composed, you have enough time to create four seperate versions for each stimulus. In doing this, try to make the piece a discursive creative hybrid. The four pieces should be very similar with a few sentences changed to fit better into each stimulus. This will make it easier for you to remember on the day. From here you can go and see how each text can be changed (few sentences, modality, integrating rhetorical questions) to fit the new text types. In terms of the reflection, it is best to create a generic reflection, that fits with the marking rubric and the key ideas and themes in your main text. You then for each of the stimulus and text types can note down things you may want to reflect on in the exam.

I hope this helps, but this is what I would do personally. I understand it is a bit difficult to understand and explain a course of action for this assessment task without an online lesson. Nevertheless, I hope you are slightly more confident!
Thank you so much!!!
I think I got you. I will try to do that.
Honestly thank you so much tho, for all your help.
I was actually so stressed about this before your replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)