04er

HSC
Help Please - Immune Response

This question is in reference to the syllabus dot point:

"describe and explain the ummune response in the human body in terms of:

- interaction between B and T lymphocytes
- the mechanisms that allow interaction between B and T lymphocytes
- the range of T lymphocyte types and the difference in their roles"

I gathered some info and put together a summarised response. Im sorry to bother you guys, but could you please tell me if its accurate and if its missing anything?

Firstly, the foreign substance enters the body. It may carry an antigen that will stimulate B-cells to produce antibodies.

Cytotoxic cells are stimulated by antigens and lymphokines.

Lymphokines are secreted by helper T-cells which help T and B-cells reproduce, B-cells to make antibodies and macrophages to remove debris (i.e. they activate B-cells, killer T-cells and macrophages).

When B-cells take part in clonal expansion - some will differentiate to form plasma cells (which produce more antibodies against the foreign antigen - this helps to clump the antigens or antigen bearing particles together so that they can be removed by other components of the immune system).

Macrophages then engulf the solid foreign matter and cytotoxic T-cells attach themselves by their receptors, secreting proteins over the invading cells, causing them to lyse.

Supressor T-cells work in conjunction with helper T-cells to regulate the activities of other T and B cells. They limit or stop the immune response to the antigen.

During the immune response, some T and B-cells differentiated to produce memory cells. This allows the subsequent invasion of the antigen bearing particles to be removed quickly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :D

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Types and roles of T cells:
Natural Killer Cells: Destroy infected cells

Cytotoxic T Cells: produce chemicals that destroy antigens and attract phagocytes

Suppressor T cells: reduce the output of antibodies from plasma cells (B cells) and chemicals from cytotoxic T cells

Amplifier T Cells: stimulate T and B cells

Hypersensitivity T cells: increase activity of white cells such as phagocytes and cells causing allergy and hypersensitive response

T Memory cells: Confer long term immunity

T Helper Cells: help B cells produce antibodies, help formation of cytotoxic T cells and helps inflammatory response

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
I haven't done this for a while but here are some other dot points which might[/b] help -

Cytotoxic T cells - Effector cells of cellular immunity; the only lymphocyte that directly attack other cells; bind to host cells displaying MHC-I (???); produce perforin, lymphotoxin, interferon, tumor necrosis factor, and other interleukins; produce the lethal hit that destroys target cells.

Helper T Cells - Play a central regulatory role in nonspecific defence and humoral and cellular immunity; secrete interleukins that activate B, Tc, and NK (natuaral killer) cells, neutrophils and macrophages.

Suppressor T cells - Release lymphokines that inhibit B cell and T cells activity; help wind down the immune response as pathogen is defeated.

Memory T cells - Activated T lymphocytes that do not immediately differentiate into effector T cell; act as a pool of lymphocytes that can execute a quick T cell recall response upon re-exposure to the same antigen that activated them initially.

CD4 (T4) cells - T lymphocytes w/CD4 surface glycoproteins; primarily helper T cells.

CD8 (T8) cells - T lymphocytes w/CD8 surface glycoproteins, including cytotoxin and suppressor T cells.

Another point:

Interleukin/ Helper factors - Lymphokines produced by Th (Helper T cells) cells that stimulate B cells to differentiate into plasma cells and synthesize.

--------------------------------[
Not sure how relevant this will be as most of it is from my A&P text book. Do you need a reference for this?

04er

HSC
Originally posted by acmilan1987
Amplifier T Cells: stimulate T and B cells
Hypersensitivity T cells: increase activity of white cells such as phagocytes and cells causing allergy and hypersensitive response
First of all, thank you for all of those acmilan1987 and bluesky100! :) I dont think I've heard of Amplifier and hypersensitivity T cells. Are they required for the syllabus?

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I dont think the syllabus says which ones you specifically have to know, but they were my book so i included them

TheKing

i think that killer and cytotoxic t cells are generalised and refered to as one thing... correct me if i'm wrong please

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
acmiliam: abt simulate t cell... are u sure abt it??? cuz i haven't heard abt it either @@

and theKing: i believe cytotoxic t cell is killer t cell... it is related to cell mediated immune response... it attempts to kill pathogens that hides inside host cells etc etc by causing them to lyse...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)