HELP PLEASE: sulfate content in lawn fertiliser (1 Viewer)

toumas

HSC
i have a few questions i really need help in, if some1 could help me that would be awesome.

they use a normal method but do not add HCL or heat

Question 1: One suggested improvement to the method used could be to filter the dissolved fertiliser (the fertiliser is dissolved in water) before adding the barium chloride solution.

What problems can you foresee with the filtering process?

Question 2: The actual mass of barium sulfate collected is less than the maximum amount that could be expected. Give one reason for this. Poor experimental technique is not an acceptable answer to this question.

Last edited:

proletariat

HSC
i have a few questions i really need help in, if some1 could help me that would be awesome.

they use a normal method but do not add HCL or heat

Question 1: One suggested improvement to the method used could be to filter the dissolved fertiliser (the fertiliser is dissolved in water) before adding the barium chloride solution.

What problems can you foresee with the filtering process?

Question 2: The actual mass of barium sulfate collected is less than the maximum amount that could be expected. Give one reason for this. Poor experimental technique is not an acceptable answer to this question.
1) uhh... Heat it? add HNO3? basically look at the question and look at what else could form a precipitate, eradicate it.

2) SO4- is a limiting reagent.

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
possible errors :
- the passage of some BaSo4 through the sintered glass filter because of the fine precipitate
- leaving some precipitate sticking to the walls of the beaker while transferring the mixture
- loss of BaSO4 due to its small but significant solubility
- Loss of some precipitate due to spillage
-contamination of the precipitate with substances adsorbed from the solution
- loss of precip. by washing it
- incomplete drying, needs drying till constant weight

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
possible errors :
- the passage of some BaSo4 through the sintered glass filter because of the fine precipitate
- leaving some precipitate sticking to the walls of the beaker while transferring the mixture
- loss of BaSO4 due to its small but significant solubility
- Loss of some precipitate due to spillage
-contamination of the precipitate with substances adsorbed from the solution
- loss of precip. by washing it
- incomplete drying, needs drying till constant weight
lol CC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)