Help Please: Complex Numbers; Triangular Inequality (1 Viewer)

Stephie-Rae

HSC
Hey.

Now, i know that |z1 + z2| < or = |z1| + |z2| and that for equality to hold z1 and z2 have to be collinear. And i can find z1 or z2 given one of them and the modulus of the other and i can find the greatest value for |z1 +z2| obviously being when they're collinear and |z1 + z2| = |z1| + |z2| but, how do you find the lowest value of |z1 + z2|??? none of my notes or text books have anything on it, my teacher wasn't at school today and i have a test 1st period tomorrow. from all my books i only have one question which asks for the lowest value to be found, but it doesn't have worked solutions.

The question is:
If z1 = 24+7i and |z2| = 6, find the greatest and least values of |z1+z2|.

So i found the greatest value to be 31. And the answer says that the least value is 19, i just don't know how to find that.

So yeah, any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Steph xo

azureus88

HSC
lowest value is when they're collinear as well but the vectors are pointing in opposite directions, so in this case, its 25-6=19

Stephie-Rae

HSC
azureus88 said:
lowest value is when they're collinear as well but the vectors are pointing in opposite directions, so in this case, its 25-6=19

ohhhhh okay, that makes sense. i figured it would be something straight forward like that, that i'd be missing. okay cool, thanks heaps.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
greatest should be 25+6= 31 when they haev the same argument.

Tsylana

HSC
i think the best thing to do is to understand why they work... visualise... :). or if that doesn't work... take a step down and accept xD....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)