• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help - pip topic!! (1 Viewer)

shagz_04

hi, i just wanted to know what people think of my topic for the pip. im doing conjoined, fraternal and identical twins and if they are different in how they are treated/viewed by peers and the wider society. if anyone has any thoughts, ideas, criticisms, etc, please let me know! my pip proposal thing is due in a week!

thanks,
shannon

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think your topic is approachable and defined.
Points you need to be aware of:
- Do you have access to many conjoined, fraternal and identical twins so you can conduct primary and qualitative research? (You need to gain their perspectives, i.e. how they feel about what other think about them).

- When you said "treated", obviously there is a dramatic treatment from people to those who are conjoined, and those who are fraternal/identical. This is due to the fact that conjoined are actually two people/parts in one body and which is considered as an abnormailty. whereas identical/fraternal are not considered abnormal. You might have a lot of ground to cover because you are dealing with 3 to 4 groups of people (Society, conjoined, fraternal and/or identical).

Overall a very good topic.

shagz_04

Thanks for your input to my pip topic- i have been tossing up whether to keep it or change to something completely different. im not sure if i should cut it down to just two of the 3 groups or not, but i think its better to do the three - gives more of a comparison.
do you think these concepts are relevant to my research? : identity, equality, prejudice, discrimination, values, life cycle? i think some of them are linked to the 5 core concepts....

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Those concepts are relevant to your PIP topic. If your class does the depth study 'Equality and Difference' that would be even better. If not, I recommand you to have a read over that part of the text book, and just gain an insight of how the author/s approach their case studies, hence improving your own approach.

shagz_04

Do we get a choice in what depth studies we do in SAC? im just wondering because i am a distance ed student for this subject. in your time at school and on this site, have you come across anyone doing a similar topic to me? it would be great if i could talk to someone who is having similar ideas or problems...
thanks for the input *again*!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
At school, we didn't have any input in what depth studies are taught to us. The depth studies chosen are based on the teacher's interest, as well as the amount of resources he/she has on that particular depth studies. Since you are a distance ed student, I'm assuming the information are sent to you? In that case, if you feel that you would like to do 'Equality and Difference' but the school did not sent you materials regarding that depth studies, you could gather your own materials, as you are doing a PIP topic in that area anyway.

I haven't come across PIPs that are relating to conjoined twins. However, there is a consistent trend for those who did well in the past, are those who formulate their own theory and/or those who are able to apply an existent theory successfully to their defined areas of research.

Good luck with yours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)