HELP! Overall Lear Problems! (1 Viewer)

Miss_Mirage86

Full-Time Princess
HSC
I am having real trouble with doing my King Lear Notes! How on earth do you set them out? Like does everything revolve around your two interpretations? Like for example, my reading is Marxism; so under the title marxism i do a character analysis, 2 key scenes, production interpretation, values etc all under marxism and then again for my other reading? My teacher has been no help over the whole year giving us NO handouts;so me and my buddies are stuck and basically starting from scratch! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kateg04

Some ideas

Ok here are some ideas that you might like to start with.

Firstly, the productions you have seen normally are of a particular reading, like Jacobean or Marxist etc. You can classify each of these productions as such because they focus on certain values. eg a Jacobean would focus on the concept of Natural Order and power. So make notes on key scenes that portray these ideas (quotes, tone, imagery, costume, staging, lighting etc).

I would do this for all the productions you have seen. This way you are integrating your knowledge of the text, the productions, different readings as well as the main themes. Towards the end of your note making you might be able to analyse the textual integrity of each production - have they altered the play too much? etc.

Note making helps but what you need is a thorough understanding of all aspects of King Lear so that in the exam, you can adapt your knowledge to fit the question. Remember, it may not be an essay!!

Good luck!! :)

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
I did Family/Psych and absurd, but you can do it for whatever. I just wrote in my notes the basic concept of each reading, changes made in order to show these readings (eg. Brook in B+W, Eyre and table), themes, how these themes are presented (i.e techniques and how they relate to the type of reading), character presentation, setting etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)