help on versailles (1 Viewer)

^bindy^

HSC
hey all

i have to write an essay on the treaty of versailles

in particular the question asks

was the treaty of versailles unfair to germany

i need like historians opinions on what they think so if anyone knows any it would be a great help

thanks in advance,
bindy

ala7923

HSC
Consider the different views of Lloyd George, Clemenceau and Wilson. Support these opinions by using evidence (eg. statistics etc) and quote historians' opinions to support the opinions of the leaders.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
bling05 said:
Check out John Maynard Keynes.
Well you can use Keynes to an extent, as he's a economist, not a historian. But certainly, his judgement on the reparations and other economic issues are certainly valuable to the argument.

Agree with the above posts as well in relation to the opinions of the Three Leaders at the Conference.

AJP Taylor, Ruth Henig, Rohan Butler, Howard Elcock, Sally Marks, Anthony Lentin, Alan Sharp, Margaret Macmillan, Eric Hobsbawm and Paul Birdsall are all historians you might mention.

Zephyrio

HSC
Kujah said:
Well you can use Keynes to an extent, as he's a economist, not a historian. But certainly, his judgement on the reparations and other economic issues are certainly valuable to the argument.

Agree with the above posts as well in relation to the opinions of the Three Leaders at the Conference.

AJP Taylor, Ruth Henig, Rohan Butler, Howard Elcock, Sally Marks, Anthony Lentin, Alan Sharp, Margaret Macmillan, Eric Hobsbawm and Paul Birdsall are all historians you might mention.
What Kujah said.

*Scratches head about the prospect of writing an essay on WWI.*

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Doubt we'll have to use numerous historians though. Even though historiography is optional, the WWI essay would be the one where we don't need to use the opinions of alot of historians :)

Mainly just AJP Taylor :p

allyoop

HSC
Uni Grad
^bindy^ said:
hey all

i have to write an essay on the treaty of versailles

in particular the question asks

was the treaty of versailles unfair to germany

i need like historians opinions on what they think so if anyone knows any it would be a great help

thanks in advance,
bindy
Yes I thought it was unfair. The treaty was drawn up too quickly after the war and the victors were continually fighting with one another in who got the most territory, or just personal dislike.

Clemenceau stated, "Wilson bores me with his fourteen points, why God Almighty only has 10"

However, it can be compared to Germany's treaty to Russia, undergoing a revolution at the time was forced to withdraw from the war, thereby having to submit to Germany. Germany knew that she had no choice but to accept the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, which was wayyy harsher than the TOV. However, Germany knew she was going to lose the war anyway, and so probably made the treaty harsher to get as much out of Russia before she lost.

The German Newspaper stated in it's headlines: "Vengence! Today.. the disgraceful treaty is being signed. Do not forget it! Then will come the shame of 1919."

Henig- "It was the acknowledgement of defeat.. that they found so hard to accept."

"We must decide which we intend- to sign this most drastic treaty of conquest for a peace whose burden far exceeds our strength, or to expose our undefended land and countrymen to fresh cruelties and horrors of war" - Paul Lobe, member of the German National Assembly

"At 5% compound interest a capital sum doubles itself every 15 years.. even if Germany were to pay $750 million annually up to 1936 she will.. owe us more than half as much again as she now does.. until the treaty is altered.. Germany [has] engaged herself to hand over.. her.. surplus production in perpetuity"- John Keynes, British economist (I love him)

Criticisms:
- It had the potential to plunge Germany into civil war
- Decision to strip Germany of much of her resources, bad mistake, eliminated another area for investment and assets. Further income and industry no more, colonies and coal restricted, no way to repay reparations, only except to print money which lead to hyperinflation! (oh dear)

I hope that helps.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
yep talk about each leader's aims and only add historiography at relevant moments. don't just name drop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)