Help on PC Parts... (1 Viewer)

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
ok...so i'm upgrading most of my old old old pc..
now i'm just tossing between which pcu/mobo combo i should go for..

Pentium 4 HT 3.0E/800 1MB S478
Pentium 4 3.0/800 1MB LGA775

What's the difference between the two? The prices are almost exactly the same...does one offer benefits over the other??

Finally, i decided to go for a cheaper video card, 9600XT..
Does the brand of it matter? It's either gonna be Powercolor or GigaByte...

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
For the Video Card, I'd suggest going with GigaByte if the prices are the same, but if GigaByte is significantly more expensive, go for Powercolor.

As for your Motherboards, I'm only sure on a few things, but what I can discern from those two (links to a page with full specs would be nice) :p

This one has Hyperthreading. It's technically faster. Has a 1MB Cache. Although, earlier versions of this type of mobo (The E means it's Prescott architecture) had some overheating problems, but that was a while ago now.

This one does not have Hyperthreading, and may be slower (probably unnoticable in 90% situations). Not sure about the architecture. Also has 1MB Cache.

I suggest going with the first one. It'll be faster in the future. Well, be faster when we start running more demanding applications etc.

Hope that helps.

~Med

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
MedNez said:
...The E means it's Prescott architecture...
ahhhh....so THAT'S what the E meant..lol...i thought it meant Extreme for the extreme editions..
haha..thanks~

think i'll just stick with the s478....their mobo's seem a heap cheaper..~

i haven't decided on a mobo yet...there's so many choices its confusing for non-pc savvy ppl like me..just know i'm getting it from www.umart.net.au ...their prices seem pretty close to cheapest..all i've been told is to stay away from ASROCK mobos..hmm

Last edited:

r0wlzii

MedNez said:
For the Video Card, I'd suggest going with GigaByte if the prices are the same, but if GigaByte is significantly more expensive, go for Powercolor.

As for your Motherboards, I'm only sure on a few things, but what I can discern from those two (links to a page with full specs would be nice) :p

This one has Hyperthreading. It's technically faster. Has a 1MB Cache. Although, earlier versions of this type of mobo (The E means it's Prescott architecture) had some overheating problems, but that was a while ago now.

This one does not have Hyperthreading, and may be slower (probably unnoticable in 90% situations). Not sure about the architecture. Also has 1MB Cache.

I suggest going with the first one. It'll be faster in the future. Well, be faster when we start running more demanding applications etc.

Hope that helps.

~Med
The 1MB Cache one gets a lot hotter so if your going to overclock go with the top one (Prescott Chip).

MoBo = Asus P4P800 Deluxe. Best Motherboard out without a doubt and I will back that up to the next model release.

6.1 onboard surround sound support, Gigabit Ethernet, somes with wireless card, supports a shit load (eg 6gb RAM 533MHzFSB, 3.2GHz P4).

But if your after AMD I am no help whatsoever.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
jay2000 said:
think i'll just stick with the s478....their mobo's seem a heap cheaper..~
Ah, good choice. As long as you have a decent case it should be ok!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)