Help on finding a technique (1 Viewer)

ImagineDragin

HSC
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if you guys had any techniques you could find from the following quote from 1984. For some more context, I was trying to analyse how the Party forces Winston to break his love with Julia:

Winston: "Do it to Julia! Do it to Julia! Not me! Julia! I don't care what you do to her. Tear her face off, strip her to the bones. Not me! Julia! Not me!" (3.5.24)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe that there is a use of anaphora in this quote. The repetition of "Do it to Julia!", "Not me!" and "Julia!" would constitute an anaphora. The purpose of this technique would be to create emphasis and could also be employed to appeal to the emotions of the audience. In the case of this text, the purpose could be to trigger some form of emotional reaction from the audience due to the fact that Winston is being tortured. His betrayal of Julia is also shown in this quote and would also elicit a similar type of reaction from the audience.

You could also discuss syntax in terms of this quote. Short and simple sentences (mostly exclamations) constitute the majority of this quote. One can also notice some inconsistency, whereby there are two-word sentences, such as "Not me!" and other sentences that are slightly longer, such as "I don't care what you do to her". This could be perceived as Winston being in a state of extreme stress, fear and overall, a high degree of mental pressure, which is consistent with the fact that he is being tortured. In such a case, syntax conveys the abnormal circumstances that Winston is being subjected to and the resulting abnormal behaviour evident through his dialogue.

I hope this helps! :D

ImagineDragin

HSC
I believe that there is a use of anaphora in this quote. The repetition of "Do it to Julia!", "Not me!" and "Julia!" would constitute an anaphora. The purpose of this technique would be to create emphasis and could also be employed to appeal to the emotions of the audience. In the case of this text, the purpose could be to trigger some form of emotional reaction from the audience due to the fact that Winston is being tortured. His betrayal of Julia is also shown in this quote and would also elicit a similar type of reaction from the audience.

You could also discuss syntax in terms of this quote. Short and simple sentences (mostly exclamations) constitute the majority of this quote. One can also notice some inconsistency, whereby there are two-word sentences, such as "Not me!" and other sentences that are slightly longer, such as "I don't care what you do to her". This could be perceived as Winston being in a state of extreme stress, fear and overall, a high degree of mental pressure, which is consistent with the fact that he is being tortured. In such a case, syntax conveys the abnormal circumstances that Winston is being subjected to and the resulting abnormal behaviour evident through his dialogue.

I hope this helps! :D
Wow, thank you so much for a basically full analysis of the quote!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)