Help needed to make a proper study timetable! (1 Viewer)

Matin

HSC
I've never done this so I was hoping if someone could please help me out by making me a study timetable? :)

I have no idea how to study properly - let alone how many hours to do for each subject and like how often.
I need to fit in piano and exercise to lose weight somewhere too :L

Thank you so much!

CaptainPrice

HSC
I used Google Calender for mine, and synced it across my phone which allows popup notifications as well.

You can start by crossing out portions of your day where you definitely won't have any time for study (e.g. school, sleep, piano, exercise, travelling etc).
Next, identify parts of your day where you know you have time for study, for example I usually have to wake up early in the morning anyway so I have about an hour to make notes or do hw, but majority of the time it's after school.

Use 40min blocks when you're studying, meaning you study for 40mins and take a 5min break, and continue on (adjust it for personal preference).
You shouldn't divide time equally between all your subjects, rather make notes or do assignments as you see fit (this leaves for a lot of flexibility). It's purely up to your judgement on the subject of how much time to spend on your subjects, think how much the workload is for particular subjects.

The one thing that is heavily advised is consistency. Making the timetable is the easy part, but actually sticking to it throughout the term is harder. I created mine with 4 hours of study each day, but after a week stopped following it.

Goodluck! Try making one today, and trial it on the remaining week we have left before school starts :)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
also word of advice, don't watch tv while in study breaks, take that time for a snack or a walk around. TV distracts you bad, and you will lose knowledge of work previously studied.

Matin

HSC
I used Google Calender for mine, and synced it across my phone which allows popup notifications as well.

You can start by crossing out portions of your day where you definitely won't have any time for study (e.g. school, sleep, piano, exercise, travelling etc).
Next, identify parts of your day where you know you have time for study, for example I usually have to wake up early in the morning anyway so I have about an hour to make notes or do hw, but majority of the time it's after school.

Use 40min blocks when you're studying, meaning you study for 40mins and take a 5min break, and continue on (adjust it for personal preference).
You shouldn't divide time equally between all your subjects, rather make notes or do assignments as you see fit (this leaves for a lot of flexibility). It's purely up to your judgement on the subject of how much time to spend on your subjects, think how much the workload is for particular subjects.

The one thing that is heavily advised is consistency. Making the timetable is the easy part, but actually sticking to it throughout the term is harder. I created mine with 4 hours of study each day, but after a week stopped following it.

Goodluck! Try making one today, and trial it on the remaining week we have left before school starts :)

So when you say "...do assignments as you see fit" what do you mean? I'm sorry, I'm just really dumb :/

Yeah, I'll deffs have to try it out first - I'm not one to stick to a routine so it might be a little hard to keep motivated haha.

You are an absolute legend, thank you!

Matin

HSC
also word of advice, don't watch tv while in study breaks, take that time for a snack or a walk around. TV distracts you bad, and you will lose knowledge of work previously studied.
Well that explains so much, omg :L Thanks heaps!

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
CaptainPrice's suggestion regarding Google Calendar is also fantastic, having pop ups to alert you is a great motivator.

CaptainPrice

HSC
So when you say "...do assignments as you see fit" what do you mean? I'm sorry, I'm just really dumb :/

Yeah, I'll deffs have to try it out first - I'm not one to stick to a routine so it might be a little hard to keep motivated haha.

You are an absolute legend, thank you!
It was probably my wording, but basically the assignments that you'll find that need more focus on (the ones that are closer to being due, need more work on etc).

Check out these threads, they give very useful advice -
http://community.boredofstudies.org...how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a.html
http://community.boredofstudies.org...on-2014-hsc/317706/how-i-got-99-95-akhil.html

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Also just one more tip, make sure that you are spending the most hours on subjects you are the weakest in to maximise your improvement in academic performance. Ultimately, you will need to trial and error a bit before you actually find the optimal study timetable for you-best wishes for acing your studies this year:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)