HELP NEEDED (Please) (1 Viewer)

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
hey all, i have my trial in a week and i'm kinda freaking out. I can write an easy, that's the easy part, but with skills i'm shithouse.

Here's the lowdown, i desperately want to top this course at our school. There's this chick who i always come second to (except in the last assessment: i kicked her arse!!). I know it sounds selfish and stuff, but man it's annoying coming second all the time to a person u know u can beat.

Well with this trial, i have the essyas down pat (i know i'll get alot of rolled eyes here) but it's the skills that i'm shit at.

Any ideas??

Thanx guys

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
well ever heard of practice? :D

jus practice skills related stuff.. excel mite hav some info..but i'm not sure.. so yeh go0d lucK ;)

eagle4

HSC
N/A
i'm the opposite

hi, i am the exact opposit i think i have the skills down pat, but the essays elude me. i have no idea how to start them :confused: , if you can make your skills worries more specific, i can help you :cool: . and can you give me a good idea of how to write a first sentence.
thanks mate

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
G'DAY EAGLE 4

G'DAY. WELL ESSAYS, HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM AS A LOVER OF ENGLISH THE BEST WAY TO ATTACK THE ESSAY IN THE EXAM IS TO DO THE ESSAY FIRST. THIS WILL HELP U GET THROUGH IT EASIER AS ALL THE INFO YOU'D HAVE STUDIED IS FRESH IN YOUR MIND- THEN GO ONTO THE SKILLS SINCE THAT IS YOUR STRENGTH.

IN THE ESSAY ITSELF, STICK TO THE QUESTION AND KEEP REFFERRING BACK TO IT......ALWAYS. INCLUDE DIAGRAMS WHERE APPLICABLE BUT ALWAYS EXPLAIN IT, DON'T SPEND TOO LONG DRAWING AN ARTWORK EITHER!! ONE THING TEACHERS LOVE IS AN EVALUATION. NO MATTER WHAT YOUR TOPIC IS ALWAYS EVALUATE, EVEN IF THE QUESTION HASN'T ASKED IT. IT'S QUITE SIMPLE, "THIS STRATEGY HAS PROVED TO BE INEFFECTIVE.....BLAH BLAH BLAH"

IN THE CONCLUSION, START AS "THUS IT CAN BE SEEN, BLAH BLAH BLAH, HOWEVER WITH CAREFUL..BLAH BLAH BLAH"

WITH MY SKILLS IT REALLY IS THE TIME ETC. IT TAKES ME AGES AND I KNOW IT'S MULTIPLE CHOICE BUT I'D LIKE TO BE UP THERE. SO IF U COULD JUST SUGGEST SOME STRATEGIES ETC IT WOULD BE A GREAT HELP, THANX DUDE,

COFFEE FAN

eagle4

HSC
N/A
hey thanks man that really helped.

ok skills, when you are studying, try to remember things by relating them to stupid things, like in weather maps, if you cant remember the types of weather brought with different airmasses (high and low) on maps its H and L i remember these as Happy wether, Lousy weather, take a piece of string into the exam cause it makes measuring roads, rivers, etc much easier, Try to picture topographic maps in 3d by using the contour lines, if you can see it in 3d in your mind then it makes it much easier to do relating questions. read each bit of the information booklet you are given, dont skim, you might miss something that can help you.

thats all i can think of at the moment, i might post another message 2morrow if i can think of something else.

above all in multiple choice questions, if you are completely stumped, GUESS, its better than leaving it blank, you can uauslly rule out 1 or 2 answers, and then quess, good luck

when you get ya results back from the trial, e-mail me with what you got,

cya
eagle4

Last edited:

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
Thanx Eagle4

well today i've been doing lots of maths, but last night i got into my skills book for geog and i've been doing lots of practice questions and i'm getting the hang of it. I like the lousy weather, happy weather thingo, pretty cool. well i'm off, iu can't think of any other tips for the essay, oh hang on, here's one little thing, but i know u won't like it.

set yourself a practice essay. full on!! give yourself forty minutes to study your topic, then do the essay.....for forty minutes. this may seem tedious and annoying (like skills for me) but it's worth it. after that mark it strictly and make sure YOU'VE ANSWERED THE QUESTION. Just one other thing while i'm on a role, try and learn quotes and definitions straight from your text-book/syllabus. do this by using flashcards- name on one side, description on the other side. if u use these in the exam make sure u refer to their souces.
righto i'm off, seeya dude, speaking of which i'll e-mail my mega-cities essay to u if u like?? i got 18/20 for it.

seeya, Coffee_Fan

p.s. when do u have your trial??
do u get the catholic or independant??

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
Re: Thanx Eagle4

Originally posted by Coffee_Fan

righto i'm off, seeya dude, speaking of which i'll e-mail my mega-cities essay to u if u like?? i got 18/20 for it.

surez! y not... :D

eagle4

HSC
N/A
sure thing mate, i'm glad that happy, lousy weather thing helped you, try to do stupid things like that to all the topics,
cya

eagle4

gonzalina

No NO NO!!!!

well, in my opinion, you should never ever do the extended responses before the skills in geography. this is because that way you get to know what is in the stymulis (sp?) booklet. For example, in my trial, the ecosystems at risk section asked you to identify an ecosystem at possible risk from a topographic map, and then evaluate possible management strategies that could be put into place, and to compare that with one that you have previously studied!

my best advice is to calculate the time needed for each section. ie, 1.8minutes per every mark. that leaves you with 34minutes per extended response. if you do the skills first, they shouldnt take you as long as the time you give yourself, then you will have more time to do each extended response. just dont forget your coloured pencils, and maps :)

Fry

Re: Thanx Eagle4

Originally posted by Coffee_Fan
can i have one too?

umm,..if u like i can send u my assessment (tourism case study) on People and economic activity) but then i dont know if its useful. i can send u an essay on ecosystems at risk but its quite crap (15.5/20) though not as good as 18! im desperate here!!! damnit, i want that essay!

eagle4

HSC
N/A
coffee, thanks man, your essay was excelent, and it definately helped me with my mega cities essay.

in skills ont tip is when finding gradient the answer is wanted to be like 1 in 5 so instead of doing rise/run do run/rise, it sounds wierd, but it would it will give you your answer, no mess no fuss.

cya
eagle4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)