help needed in industrial chemistry (1 Viewer)

born2try

hi, i 've got some problems that i cannot solve
please help

1.perform a first-hand investigation to assess risk factors and then carry out a chemical step involved in the Solvay process, identifying any difficulties associated with the
laboratory modelling of the step

i don't have a recount for the process, does anyone have it ?

2.in the mercury process, my text "Chemistry in context" has the equation :
2Na+Hg=2NaHg
but since there are 2 Hg on the RHS of the equation, there should be two Hg on the left as well, is it a printing mistake?
should it be Na+Hg=NaHg?

thanks for helping....

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
in answering to number two, you would be totally correct for stating that about a rigorous chemical equation. you cannot create or destroy matter! :) a duur comment

but that equation is not a chemical equation - it does not really depict a chemical reaction at all.

It is merely saying that the liquid sodium can mix with mercury to form a kind of sodium-mercury amalgam. This is a physical change (electrostatic or whatever reason, i am not 100% sure). Also the composition of this amalgam is hard to determine, maybe 1.763746 sodium atoms for every 2.3714759 mercury, it is most likely never the same (like for any other mixtures).

But yes you are totally correct for making that observation.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
read the industrial chem part of my summary, it fully covers both of your questions, in think

in case it doesn't cover point 1, i will tell you now

The solvay process involves the recycling of ammonia.
ammonia is EXTREMELY toxic at moderate concentrations so it is difficult to handle, let alone recycle in a lab.

we never acctually carried out a step cause our teacher said it was impossible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)