Help needed - Good 8th grade/Associate pieces. (1 Viewer)

frontin

HSC
Help needed - Good 8th grade/Associate piano pieces.

Hey I'm in year 10 at the moment and I'm starting 8th grade piano at the moment and I know this is kind of a foolish question but which pieces are really good for mainly 8th grade and Associate if you would like to add.

I'm more of an expressionist then a technical player, I've picked my List C as in the Nocturne in E Minor by Chopin but I haven't really listened to anything else (just a few) in the other lists and if anyone can save me the trouble to going through every single one by telling me a recommendation that would be great!

List B, the 2 I would probably go for are Beethoven and Mozart I think. I don't mind how long it is or anything but bare in mind im not too good at octaves (which I can't avoid but the less the better :)) Just one that sounds really passionate, interesting, expressionate and most of all beautiful. I kind of like pieces which convey lots of different emotions. I don't mind a bit of jazz too but I doubt thats in 8th grade, a mix between the classical and romantic periods is fine with me too. Just as long as it doesn't sound too boring.

In the past I've done the Pathetique 3rd movement, Rosemary by Bridge, Latin Preludes and the dreaded Courante which I was crazy enough to do.

List A I really have no idea, Liszt's etudes or the Italian Concerto possibly? and List D I'm thinking of maybe one of Debussy's preludes like La Serenade Interrompue.

Anyway, if anyone can tell me a piece they have done or they are doing that really stuck out for them in 8th grade that would be brilliant. I don't want to miss something that sounds really good as I will be doing these pieces for a year. The most important thing for me is that the piece is my style, the fact that I will enjoy it and the confidence to pull it off well. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
frontin

Last edited:

kony

HSC
did you ever mention you were a pianist in that post?

anyway, the Italian Concerto is a lot of work, and very difficult. i mean, it's not technically that demanding but it's very long and that kind of music has no room for variation in tempo, so you're looking at a very long period of concentration.

The E minor nocturne is kinda easy, and the only difficulty is expression, so you probably need something else a little more technical.

Try Sonata in A K331 Mozart, for list B.

frontin

HSC
kony said:
did you ever mention you were a pianist in that post?

anyway, the Italian Concerto is a lot of work, and very difficult. i mean, it's not technically that demanding but it's very long and that kind of music has no room for variation in tempo, so you're looking at a very long period of concentration.

The E minor nocturne is kinda easy, and the only difficulty is expression, so you probably need something else a little more technical.

Try Sonata in A K331 Mozart, for list B.
Thanks so much kony and no I didn't dope! :rofl:

I think I've decided what I'm going to do and I've learnt most of List C and D.

List A - Moskowski's Etude de Virtuosite in G Minor.

List B - Mozart's 1st movement "Allegro" of Sonata in D, K284.

List C - Chopin's Nocturne in E Minor, Op 72, No 1.

List D - Debussy's Prelude No. 9 "La Serenade Interrompue".

Once again, thanks for replying. :)

steban

violin dude
HSC
out of those pieces i have the same list B as you, the mozart

IMO, its the easiest grade 8 piece you might find, there is some technical difficulty in some bars, the development might be a little tricky, but its faily easy, and hmm, are you doing piano for leisure...cause i dont think the chopins nocturn is a list C piece, it wasnt in the syllabes for normal grade 8 when i checked.....i chose the hunting song by mendolssohn which is great fun.

List A- Barouque- Prelude and fugue/etude etc
List B- Classical - Sonatas etc
List C- Romantic
List D- Modern stuff

just a lil guide to the grade 8 piano lists.

steban

kony

HSC
list A is WEIRD

It has that Moszkowski Op72 No2 etude, and Moszkowski lived after Chopin??

So it's not exclusively baroque.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Isn't List A studies or other technical pieces, not exclusively Baroque?

Last edited:

steban

violin dude
HSC
ohh my bad then, i t hought it was mainly baroque, as thats what my piano teacher told me, but list is MAINLY bachs prelude and fugues, and then sum extra technical peices.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Bach's Preludes and Fugues are very technical pieces, and not just because of the physical technical requirements. Somebody studying a Bach work for AMus or above should be at least familiar with the underlying construction of Fugue and other period compositional styles. In fact, an examiner will expect a candidate to identify and describe various compositional elements of a studied Fugue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)