Help - Modelling polymerisation Pracs (1 Viewer)

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
Basically we just need to make models representing polymers such as polyethlene,pvc,etc with molecular models kits

Anyone has done this prac?

I can't get the conclusion and the usefulness as well as limitation with this models

Pls help

tristambrown

HSC
heres the pix of someone else doing this prac

the aim is for you to make the momomers (ethylene in polyethylene's case) - know it has a double bond (uz u put it there)
then physically break the double bond and "plug it in" .... i guess it aids the understanding of addition polymerisation

just draw them with structural diagrams is prolly as good for yur understanding :)

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
what are another conclusion will we get from this prac?
just understanding?
I just get about the structure of polyetyhlene will affect the density

HSC
dhampoet said:
Basically we just need to make models representing polymers such as polyethlene,pvc,etc with molecular models kits

Anyone has done this prac?

I can't get the conclusion and the usefulness as well as limitation with this models

Pls help
Your conclusion should be something like "It is possible to make representations of polymers using molecular modeling kits

Adcantages of using modelling kids:
  • allows complex molecules like glucose to be viewed and allows students to analyse their structure
  • clearly shows how isomers can be made
  • by using different coloured balls for different molecules, structure can clearly be seen
  • single and double bonds can be clearly viewed
  • shape can be seen
Disadvantages:
  • The models are static, and they are supposed to represent something dynamic
  • An atom is mainly empty space, and we're representing it as a solid by using the modelling kits
  • The modelling kits are not to scale

rickem

RÎçkõ
HSC
Yeh, thats pretty much it. You just need to kno that modelling the polymers will give you an idea of the polymer structure, its a really basic experiment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)