help me!!! (1 Viewer)

poopoohead

HSC
hey there,

does anyone know how you could measure corrosion rates? im tryin to do an assessment task experiment thingy- comparing corrosion rates of iron, steel and alloys and one on corrosion prevention

i assume its got something to do with weighing results before and after.
someone better reply with an answer...or else!:mad1:

amorina

HSC
N/A
hey
i'm a qlder, but i'm doing an experiment on corrosion too, and i'm having the same problem of measuring the corrosion. one way (and it doesn't actually have an amount) is to apply a chemical (maybe agar?) and it turns some chemicals a different colour if certain ions are present... dunno if that helps.. but if anyone else has a quantititave answers, that'd be grand :)

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
This is the procedure:
1. Weigh about 0.5 g of both iron wire and (soapless) steel wool.
2. Polish the iron wire and degrease the steel wool using acetone and dry.
3. Weigh both samples accurately.
4. Pusch each sample into each of two 10 mL measuring cylinders and add 0.4 mol L-1 NaCl(aq) to cover each sample.
5. Cover the mouth of each measuring cylinder with a watch glass.
6. Invert each measuring cylinder and place in a beaker of water removing the watch glass.
7. Adjust the water level to 10.0 mL.
8. Observe any changes to both samples and record the water level as a function of time.
9. Tabulate data.

Good luck on your assessment. Don't forget to justify the reason you do what you are doing. And can I know, how can your school start an elective this early?

bmc

HSC
When we did this practical we weighed each sample before the practical. We then placed the samples in seperate test tubes containing salt water. We left them for a week and reweighed them. Once u take them out the second time clean off the corrosion and subtract the cleaned metal from the original. The greater the difference the faster the rate of corrosion :)

poopoohead

HSC
Thankyou

Yeah- i did the experiment already, but i used probably the exact same method- weighing before and after corrosion and calculating difference. It seemed the most simple and obvious method to me. thanks

theres no set order to which you must follow the syllabus- really for any subject. last term we did identification of materials, this term the elective. Or If you like, i c ould say: 'my schools just smarter than your school" cos its probably the truth anyway. nah im joking- its obvious from ur method that ur about a thousand times smarter than anyone (or just full of crap):)

bye for now :wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)