help me with the indochina syllabus!!! (1 Viewer)

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
what's with this gay indochina syllabus, im strugglin to summarise sum of these key feature dot points. its the only one i cant summarise properly cos in class all my work is under the headings of stuff in the events framework, not the key features.

for example, wot would i put for:
* the nature of political, social economical and military policies within sth and nth vietnam and their consequences

*the natureand impact of growing US intervention in indochina for both US, the peoples of indochina and the immediate region.

give me something!

one last thing, what sort of things could i mention for the role of the vietcong?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I haven't actually gone and summarized Indochina under each dot point heading... but I'll try and help.

* the nature of political, social economical and military policies within sth and nth vietnam and their consequences

Under this I assume you could have things like (for the South) the US backed Diem regime, Viet Cong infiltration into villages, strategic hamlets, US military programs such as the Phoenix program, WHAM, search and destroy etc, land reform under Diem... for the North things such as land reform, bombing... brain isn't entirely switched on right now. It's such a broad dot point.... that's what I found when I tried to summarize Indochina under the dot points, they are all so broad.

*the natureand impact of growing US intervention in indochina for both US, the peoples of indochina and the immediate region.

Well, when you think about it, the US really created this war. They had their Domino theory and containment and they inervened at Geneva to make Vietnam divided. Growing US intervention, in simple terms, led to more people being killed!!! You can talk about the impact of US bombing and operations on villagers, the social impact of the American presence in South Vietnam (the economy boomed, changed society a lot), also people in Laos and Cambodia were impacted by US intervention.... the US really created the Pol Pot situation in Cambodia (it may have happened anyway, who knows, but by backing Lon Nol's overthrow of Sihanouk, and by abandoning Cambodia when Lon Nol's forces were losing to the KR, it catalyzed that chain of events)... the immediate region bit is a lil tricky... perhaps they mean China's involvement in supplying weapons to the VC, and China's links with Sihanouk after Sihanouk broke links with the US because when Diem was assainated he saw what the US did to their "friends".... as for the impact on the US of their growing intervention, there was a huge financial cost, as well as the loss of lives. Also the social unrest in the US post-tet and the distrust created in the American public after my lai/pentagon papers/watergate was revealed.

I don't know if this is really helpful or anything, I feel like I'm just rambling a bit lol.

As for the role of the Viet Cong, they infiltrated southern villages and initiated the guerilla war in south vietnam against ARVN and Diem's regime. E.g. assassinations of village leaders (who were appointed by Diem)... they really drove the war of attrition in the south pre-tet by harassing the US troops and using guerilla tactics. Since their numbers were so hugely decimated by tet the NVA took on more fighting in the south after tet, but the viet cong's role was quite huge!

Anyway, gotta go I hope this helps a little bit if you have any more questions, ask away!

Benno

HSC
lol, i know hehe, i ahh "borrowed" there notes

mwuhaha

Lolliana

well for the role of the viet cong here are some points i'd mention
- communist influence from north, united political factions Cao Dai and Hao Hoa (south) ---results? increased support, recruitment for VC

- guerilla tactics

- thwarted US attempts to 'control' cities, southern region

for the "nature of political, social economical and military policies within sth and nth vietnam and their consequences"

thats asking about efforts at reconstruction, after the division
so you would need to talk about the
political North- building communist state, influence of Russia and CHina

social North- 900, 000 catholics move south

economic- loss of Mekong Delta, reliance on already densly populated red river delta, in first few years starvation only staved off by Rice imported from Burma, paid for by Russia

military- soldier-peasant state, DRV became the fastest growing industrial power in south east asia, better prepared to wage war

Poltical South- repression under Diem, revolving door period, political instability, repression of Cao Dai and Hoa Hao (minority communist groups)

economic south- heavily dependent on US aid, Diem corrupt

social- Buddhists burning themselves in protest, Nu's pagoda raids, divisions as Diem was a Catholic in a largely Buddist state

military- reliant on us 'advisors'

oh, by the way, these things are really clear in my head, just holler if im writing random words that make no sense...

"the natureand impact of growing US intervention in indochina for both US, the peoples of indochina and the immediate region"

you might want to talk about

Wham
the phoenix program
strategic hamlets

and their effects

environmental effects from 'agent orange' and defoiliation

domestically escalation resulted in increased factionalism between 'hawkes and doves' and the Kent State Uni ant-war rally in 1970, where 4 students died at the hads of state troopers

for indochina- economically their way of life (mainly farming) was devestated,

not to mention loss of life and money spent during war effort

i know theres heaps more, its just my brains a little rusty...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)