• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help me! (Law/Arts-Psychology Student) (1 Viewer)

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
hey guys,
I need help preparing my timetable for tomorrow. What I don't get is my study pattern. You see, I have two different study patterns - one given to me on open day and another which was in the handbook. Here are the two study patterns:

HANDBOOK STUDY PATTERN:
100 level
LAW103 - Torts/Legal History (3)
LAW113 - Jurisprudence (4)
PSY104 - Introduction to Psychology 1 (3)
PSY105 - Introduction to Psychology 2 (3)
STAT170 or STAT171 - Introductory Statistics (3) or Statistical Data Analysis (3)
Total number of units for the year = 16

STUDY PATTERN I OBTAINED FROM OPEN DAY:
100 level
LAW103 - Torts/Legal History (3)
LAW113 - Jurisprudence (4)
PSY104 - Introduction to Psychology 1 (3)
PSY105 - Introduction to Psychology 2 (3)
STAT170 - Introductory Statistics (3)
Plus three 100-level elective units (9)
Total number of units for the year = 25

As you can see, the study pattern given to me by the handbook is a little odd. I mean 16 units? I don't even qualify as full-time study with that! So right now I'm preparing my timetable according to the study pattern given to me on open day. Am I right to do this? I tried ringing up macquarie and they redirected me 4 times to different departments and in the end told me they couldn't answer my question. So I'm hoping you guys could help me.

And one last question. Could anyone clarify what "three 100-level elective units" means? Does this mean I can choose ANY subject I want? I was thinking of choosing some subjects that are in the Psychology(honours) course but not the double degree...would that qualify? Or is there a special set of subjects which I can choose from?

Thanks in advance guys.

qkrtjdxo

HSC
Basically the 2 study patterns are the same, except the one provided in the handbook is missing the 3 optional electives.

If you meet the pre-requisites for a subject, im pretty sure you can select any subject as your elective.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
im doing the same course as u highpingbastard but im only doing 2 elective units.. i know it might take me longer but hey, i dont care as long as im fulltime.

and yea, if there are no prerequ's then u can take any 100 level course u want!

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
Ah excellent! Out of curiosity MaryJane, why are you not doing 3 elective units? Because don't you think it's better to have an even number of units every single year than having like 28 or 27 units in the last year?

And another question - do we just make a timetable for the first year? or just first semester?

qkrtjdxo

HSC
You have to make the timetable for the whole year, but I think you can change your semester 2 timetable during mid semester break.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i think you can choose any 100 level electives you like.
and iw ould follow the 2nd, the handbook just forgot the piece of information i think

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
100 level electives....does this mean I can choose say...an economics subject which is a core subject from say the commerce degree?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yes i don't see why not. my electives are from entirely different faculties/divisions ( i dont know what they are called) from my other subjects

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Originally posted by highpingbastard
Ah excellent! Out of curiosity MaryJane, why are you not doing 3 elective units? Because don't you think it's better to have an even number of units every single year than having like 28 or 27 units in the last year?
im just starting out slowly... i figure it cant make that much of a difference... sooner or later (hopefully sooner) ill get the degree finished :) i just dont wana overload, plus i cant find any other subjects that really interest me.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by highpingbastard
It is so hard to pick a good subject which is not going to clash with my other shiznat
yeah that's why mine clash. it was hard enough to find a good subject, and then to find one that was available in the right semester!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)