Help me design my dream computer. (1 Viewer)

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
The_highwayman said:
as in, seperate to the monitor, or one that i coulld use as a monitor?

because i don't have the space for an LCD AND a monitor...as weird as that may seem.
Use as.
Have your wii going into RCA
Have your PC going in on VGA, DVI or even HD if you get a 1337 gfx card.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
mr_brightside said:
Use as.
Have your wii going into RCA
Have your PC going in on VGA, DVI or even HD if you get a 1337 gfx card.
if it works out to be on par with price and quality (compared with Monitor + TV Card thingy + relevant attachments) then i'll certainly consider it.

then again...that option results in me not only having a computer, but a dedicated TV as well. :/

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
See if you can locate a board which supports twin 8800GTX'z. I like the keyboard you've found as well, second hand you can pick one up for $100.00 from ebay yes? Minimum 2GB RAM. I've been asking a few guys today about places where you can locate cheaper NZXT cases, and they said they will look into it.

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
2syllables said:
people buy off 'msy' they are the cheapest computer factory around

www.msy.com.au
MSY is good, but they dont always have the stock that they say they have, as they have to sell through a lot of their stock before reorderin, ie if u want a 320gb Seagate and they dont have it, they wil not reorder until they sell thorugh all their seagate stuff, as this is how they get their cheaper prices

but def give msy a go, otherwise i would visit micheal at it destination at capitol computers in chinatown, not that either place will hlp the thread starter cause they r in newcastle

HSC
s-AINT said:
See if you can locate a board which supports twin 8800GTX'z. I like the keyboard you've found as well, second hand you can pick one up for $100.00 from ebay yes? Minimum 2GB RAM. I've been asking a few guys today about places where you can locate cheaper NZXT cases, and they said they will look into it.
See, the motherboard, ram, hd's, thats all the stuff i need the info on because i don't understand it.

Aesthetics i'm pretty confident with. It's the more technical issues like, what is classed as a good/excellent motherboard? whats the difference between different brands of Nvidia 8800GTX (eg: sparkle, leadtek) and which is reliable or value for money? I have very little knowledge because i have very little experience in this field.

Your help is really appreciated though.

2syllables said:
people buy off 'msy' they are the cheapest computer factory around

www.msy.com.au
everyone always recommends MSY. Damn isolated location :(

Collin

HSC
N/A
Perhaps I'm blind but I believe you didn't actually mention 'PC-gaming' as a specific requirement of this rig, just that you want to hook your Wii to it and stuff.

If you don't intend to do any intense PC-gaming on it, you don't need a beef video card. But I'm sure you do, because you mentioned an 8800GTX.

Yes, Intel plans to slash prices soon. If you're not in a hurry, wait until Christmas. The G92 is planned for launch (along with the R700, although I wouldn't bet on that one coming out on time). Intel's 45nm Core 2 shrink 'Penryn' should also be out too. DDR3 prices should come down and super-large LCDs should further depreciate in price.

Here's what I'm planning for Christmas:

Penryn
4GB DDR2/3
G92
X-Fi
24" Dell

Best thing is, it won't even cost me more than ~$3000 and it should woop the gaming capabilities of a system I could build now for that price.

HSC
oh, sorry. i thought that was assumed when i wrote 'games' as one of the uses. I should have clarified.

It will definately (primarily) be used for PC gaming.

EDIT: i realise that 4K is alot of money. it's probably too much. hopefully i can get it around the 3K mark

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)