Help me decide whether its my ISP problem or my modem (1 Viewer)

kooltrainer

HSC
im using TPG 130GB plan $49.99 adsl2+ which is notorious for having connection problems/disruptions..

im using a modem called T-link with an router (not in built) separately and um, my first disconnection occurred randomly nothing much special.. since after that.. i'v been receiving frequent disconnections (once every so often that i can never satisfy my gaming session) that im starting to doubt its TPG's fault coz its jus too ridiculous..

another point that made me feel its my modem (or router whichever one) screwing up is that my modem is having this wifi problem where my laptop ( or any other laptops) cant connect to its wireless.. Those computers connected using the cable (i think its called LAN) can go online perfectly fine...

Another point for you ppl to consider is that the weather for the past week has been quite bad, cold and rainy..

all in all, I think its not my isp problem but my modem/router.. what do u people think .. Would it be my modem's screw up or my router being defective?? and how can i go about fixing it..

the modem+router is relatively new... probably a year or so less

EDIT: i've noticed something very interesting... the net seems to stuff up especially when i started to play this online game.. If it was just casual internet browsing, it disconnects far fewer times.. Would playin online games draw up a major part of the download speed casuing TPG to fk up?

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
My modem is about 2-3 yrs old, router is about 5 years old (LOL) (both D-Link) and it seems fine for me, the connection did start dropping out a few months ago, but stopped soon after.

However, last month I was having issues with WIFI on my laptop not connecting, I re-set the modem & router and had to re configure both, after that it was fine.

So try and re-set it maybe, and also, I think it drops out if there are too many PCs connected or 1 is downloading (this slows the connection down to almost dial-up state, sometimes, when a computer is downloading something while the other is trying to surf the net or just looking at youtube etc...)

If not, get yourself a new modem/router combo, after doing what Phoenix Fury said first tho.

kooltrainer

HSC
My modem is about 2-3 yrs old, router is about 5 years old (LOL) (both D-Link) and it seems fine for me, the connection did start dropping out a few months ago, but stopped soon after.

However, last month I was having issues with WIFI on my laptop not connecting, I re-set the modem & router and had to re configure both, after that it was fine.

So try and re-set it maybe, and also, I think it drops out if there are too many PCs connected or 1 is downloading (this slows the connection down to almost dial-up state, sometimes, when a computer is downloading something while the other is trying to surf the net or just looking at youtube etc...)

If not, get yourself a new modem/router combo, after doing what Phoenix Fury said first tho.
hmm.. resetting sounds nice.. havent tried that.. all i'v done up to now was probably unpluggin , blowing, then pluggin in again..

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm, is there much of a distance between your laptops and the router? Brick walls, other wireless devices etc usually don't help.
Aside from that pretty hard to say.

kooltrainer

HSC
Hmm, is there much of a distance between your laptops and the router? Brick walls, other wireless devices etc usually don't help.
Aside from that pretty hard to say.
no, nothing in between... probably a distance of 3-4 meters.. im pretty sure its the modems wireless stuff up and its not an interference problem coz another laptop of mine couldnt connect as well...

Also, as soon as i switch off modem, wait 10 seconds, turn it back on again... the wireless works again...

I'm on the same plan and I never get dropouts.
and yea.. quite some ppl with the same plan had no drop outs watsoever during this period thus making my modem more susceptible to where the problem stems..

any1 no how to reset/reconfigure routers/modems?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)