Help me choose a PS3 game for my friend! :] (1 Viewer)

Dota55

HSC
Hi um, friend's birthday's coming up and i don't know what to buy him.

He's a hardcore gamer, and he's just bought a PS3. He hasn't got any games though, or so he tells me, and i was wondering what game i should buy him.

Any suggestions? Try to justify your choice too if you can please!

Dota55

HSC
Care to explain why?

Just so I don't buy the game and he gets a look of disappointment on his face. Be much appreciated thanks.

zingerburger

HSC
If he's a pretty dedicated gamer, I'm sure he'll enjoy Fallout 3. It's an RPG/FPS hybrid game with quite a lot of depth to it. Although, as I understand it, the PS3 version is probably the worst because there are a few graphical glitches that come up. But it's still a fantastic game nonetheless.

A list of other highly-recommended games:

• GTA IV - An obvious choice for PS3. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have the game already.
  • Far Cry 2 - Immense world to explore where you're free to do what you want. Plenty of choices in the way you approach tasks. Lots of shooting action.
  • Bioshock - Great story. Atmospheric. Again, lots of ways to accomplish tasks. FPS/RPG hybrid like Fallout 3 but without the expansive world to explore.
  • Dead Space - Haven't played it, but apparently it's good. There's my justification.
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Get the "Game of the Year" edition if you can. It has the original plus all the other stuff that's been released and the expansion pack. It's an RPG where you're free to do pretty much anything you want. I don't really know what to say. It's just a great game.
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Stealth-action game with a pretty cool story like the other games in the series.
  • Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - Tactical FPS with lots of intense shooting action helped by the innovative cover controls. You can unlock a whole bunch of new weapons and other things the more you play.
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Again, intense shooting action. Online is where the game is at its best.

You really can't go wrong with any of the games I've listed there. I realise that most the games involve quite a bit of shooting, so if he's not a huge shooting fan I could make other suggestions. But they also happen to be some of the most highly-regarded games for the PS3 (and other platforms where applicable).

And even if he does get a look of disappointment, I suppose you could get some insurance against that if you buy the game from a store like "EB Games" or "GAME". They have a 7 day return policy as long as you have the receipt. Or even better, you could get a gift voucher from those stores and let him choose his own game. But I have to warn you, the newer games I've listed (Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Bioshock, Dead Space and maybe GTA IV and Metal Gear Solid 4) might cost up to $110.

9deuce

MADE
HSC
What type of games does he like?
Try snoop around on his PC or other consoles.

Dota55

HSC
Umm...I had a look,

and from what i can gather, he apparently likes fifa (he's got 2005, 2006 World cup, 2007), and RPGs.

Although he has bittorented them so i don't know if i should get him something that he'll just get off the net.

How's MGS4? Isn't that PS3 exclusive?

Terlob

HSC
Dota55 said:
Umm...I had a look,

and from what i can gather, he apparently likes fifa (he's got 2005, 2006 World cup, 2007), and RPGs.

Although he has bittorented them so i don't know if i should get him something that he'll just get off the net.

How's MGS4? Isn't that PS3 exclusive?
Yep. FIFA 09 came out about a month ago...

badquinton304

HSC
MGS4 is in my opinion the best game of this generation thus far. It would be a great gift for any gamer.
If you are willing to wait a couple days for Resistance 2 to come out in the US and have it delivered express post off ebay.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
get the bible game, its for the ps2 but itll work for the ps3. Its a great game

yayis

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Gran Turismo 5.

Anything else is for nerds.
Except for the fact that Gran Turismo 5 is not out yet... :lol:

9deuce

MADE
HSC
2009 as confirmed by Mr. Kazunori himself recently.
Prologue is still awesome.

Well if he likes FIFA, get him 09.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Terlob said:
Yeah it's been delayed a thousand times. Expected for release 2009/10. Thats when I'll be getting a PS3.
gran turismo series = best games available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)