Help Me (Advanced Standing) (1 Viewer)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Hey guys, im looking at enrolment online on myunsw for b comm.
Im goin to go to the advising for advanced standing students.

This is where its majorly confusing to me, and help is appreicated :)

1. am i able to select "accounting and finance co-op" as a plan ? (my aim to is do a major/dobule major ???:S to qualify for CPA ) or should i just do accounting as a plan ? :s

2. im gonna send in my offical academic xscript with the "application for credit transfer - semester 1 2005" , however, how do i know what UNSW course code to match with my MQ course codes ?
e.g , ive completed, accounting 1a,1b, micro/macro, ......as well as other comp/stat subjects.
https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/commencing/AdvStand.html

3. how will i know wot subjects out of the 8 i did at MQ would gain exemption at unsw ? do they notify me by mail ? or in myunsw it says ive "completed" it ? :s

4. "15 Do you expect to complete your entire program in Session 1? Yes No "
whats that mean ???

Or should i just see what i am able to get credit for, and turn up to the adivising day and let someone sort out my plan/majors/minors coz im totaly mixed up with the online handbook and myunsw.

thanks again :)

Last edited:

addz

HSC
#1 is for the co-op program..shttp://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=56525#top

#4 basically if you plan on finishing your entire degree in first semester which i would not, that should also be a no

#2 and #3..i wudnt know..sorry

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
2 and 3:

Accounting 1A = ACCT1501
Accounting 1B = ACCT1511
Micro1 = ECON1101
Macro1 = ECON1102
Stats(QMB) = ECON1203
Comp = INFS1601 (check the handbook)

Go to the student centre in the Goodsell building with your academic transcript and they'll probably tell you on the spot what will be credited to your degrree.

Dirt Poor

HSC
When I transferred from UTS at the start of '04 they automatically worked out the equivalent subjects and gave me credit from them.

- Go to my.unsw.edu.au
- Click "My Student Profile"
- Click "Academic Statement" in the left hand column.

That's where it showed (and still shows) my transfer credits from my old uni and what they're equivalent to at UNSW. If they're wrong, let your program organizer know. I was given credit for a stats subject despite not having done any stats.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Thanks for that dirt poor,

I did as u said, but i only see my name, student id, and print date.

I have NOT YET sent in my transcript details along with the credit trasfer form to UNSW due 5pm on the 28th.

Is this why?

Thanks for that minai, can i do that on the 16th (advanced stadning students comm advisiing day) ?

Dirt Poor

HSC
UNSW got my academic transcript from UTS without any effort on my part. I think one of the pages when you went through the enrolment process online at UNSW said something along the lines of "I grant permission for UNSW to obtain my academic records from all prior institutions I have studied at" blah blah. At least, I remember something along those lines when I accepted my Com/Sci transfer offer yesterday.

It might take a few days. Just give the help-line a buzz though and they'll be able to tell you if you're required to do anything.

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Grizzly said:
I have NOT YET sent in my transcript details along with the credit trasfer form to UNSW due 5pm on the 28th.

?
You can go in person to the FCE student centre (John Goodsell Building) or post in your transcript along with the application for advanced standing/credit form.(which is found somewhere on myunsw- yeh don't have actual site, i came across it by chance).
But yeh it must be in by 28th Jan.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Thanks SCUT.

Did you match the Comm subs you did at USYD with the UNSW ones ?
e.g from minai,
Accounting 1A = ACCT1501
Accounting 1B = ACCT1511
Micro1 = ECON1101
Macro1 = ECON1102
Stats(QMB) = ECON1203

In my.unsw, under "MY APPLICATION", does it say, under "STATUS", "Matriculation" ?
Coz ive only done PART 1 of the "proceed with offer" process...PART2 = Pick your PLAN and subjects right ?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Minai said:
2 and 3:

Accounting 1A = ACCT1501
Accounting 1B = ACCT1511
Micro1 = ECON1101
Macro1 = ECON1102
Stats(QMB) = ECON1203

Go to the student centre in the Goodsell building with your academic transcript and they'll probably tell you on the spot what will be credited to your degrree.
thanks for that match upminai, how about

MQ = UNSW
ECON141 - Into Econometrics = ?
ACST101 - Techniques+Elements Finace = ?

And do i fill that info out in here ?
https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/commencing/CreditApp5054.pdf

What is my "PLAN CODE" for that form? Specialization ?
I want to major in accounting and finance.

Thanks a bunch! :D

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Yeh I'm hoping all the subjects I did at Usyd get credited.

USYD ------> UNSW

ACCT 1A - ACCT 1501
ACCT 1B - ACCT 1511
Micro - ECON 1101
Macro -ECON 1102
Business and Eco Stats A - ECON 1202
Business and Eco Stats B - ECON 1203
Commercial Transactions A - LEGT1711
Business Info Systems Foundations - INFS 1602

My ACCT and Micro/Macro units will no doubt be credited, but I'm not too sure if my other 4 will be credited.

AND yes, that form you have Grizzly is the right one.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Grizzly said:
thanks for that match upminai, how about

MQ = UNSW
ECON141 - Into Econometrics = ?
ACST101 - Techniques+Elements Finace = ?

And do i fill that info out in here ?
https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/commencing/CreditApp5054.pdf

What is my "PLAN CODE" for that form? Specialization ?
I want to major in accounting and finance.

Thanks a bunch! :D
Plan Code would be ACCTAD3502/FINSAD3502 for your double major.

ECON141 would probably be ECON2206
ACST101 probably ACTL1001

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
minai,
doing intro statistics at MQ, this gives me a chance to get credit for QMB. (ECON1203)
What subject that ive done could give me credit for QMA (ECON1202).

I think ACST101 , Techniques+Elements of Finance, as QMA deals with "Description
This course examines: mathematics of finance: (compound interest, present value, annuities);"

Thanks

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Grizzly said:
minai,
doing intro statistics at MQ, this gives me a chance to get credit for QMB. (ECON1203)
What subject that ive done could give me credit for QMA (ECON1202).

I think ACST101 , Techniques+Elements of Finance, as QMA deals with "Description
This course examines: mathematics of finance: (compound interest, present value, annuities);"

Thanks
You're probably right. In any case, ask the FCE student centre, they'd give you definitive answers.

How many subjects did you do last year? If those matchups are correct, you should get full credit for 1st year.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
hey minai,
thanks for everthing, i went in to mac at 830 this morning to pick up my xscripts, then bus it to unsw, lol
i took me ages to find FCE coz they doing reno's in the courtyard...lol

anyway, i went there, then they said i should hand it to place at the chancellery building. UNSW Q ?

that went down fine, and i shold receive notification of credit/exemptions within 2 weeks view my profile > academic xscript in my.unsw.

Then i went to espot to get my stud id, so cool :) Except the lady couldnt give me the concession sticker coz i havent enroled in enuf subs to make me a full timer...ill just use my mq one in the mean timee :)

i did 8 subjects last year. :)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Great news everyone :p

"Transfer Credit from Macquarie University

Applied Toward Commerce Program

ACCT 1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A 6.00 6.00 T

ACCT 1511 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1B 6.00 6.00 T

COMM 0005 1 unspecified free option 6.00 6.00 T

ECON 1101 Microeconomics 1 6.00 6.00 T

ECON 1102 Macroeconomics 1 6.00 6.00 T

ECON 1203 Quantitative Methods B 6.00 6.00 T

ECON 2206 Introductory Econometrics 6.00 6.00 T

FINS 1613 Business Finance 6.00 6.00 T

Credit Transferred : 48.00"

Can someone please advise me on what subjects i should do to double major in ACCT and FINANCE ?

Looks like i dont have to do QMB, but i gotta do QMA.

Last edited:

enemy

Grizzly said:
Great news everyone :p

"Transfer Credit from Macquarie University

Applied Toward Commerce Program

ACCT 1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A 6.00 6.00 T

ACCT 1511 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1B 6.00 6.00 T

COMM 0005 1 unspecified free option 6.00 6.00 T

ECON 1101 Microeconomics 1 6.00 6.00 T

ECON 1102 Macroeconomics 1 6.00 6.00 T

ECON 1203 Quantitative Methods B 6.00 6.00 T

ECON 2206 Introductory Econometrics 6.00 6.00 T

FINS 1613 Business Finance 6.00 6.00 T

Credit Transferred : 48.00"

Can someone please advise me on what subjects i should do to double major in ACCT and FINANCE ?

So can u enrol into the subjects for ur 2nd year as u get full exemptions for the 1st year?. My case is exactly the same as ur

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
enemy said:
So can u enrol into the subjects for ur 2nd year as u get full exemptions for the 1st year?. My case is exactly the same as ur
Provided UNSW has approved your subjects (ie. given credit) thats fine. Remember, the six core courses need to be satisfied - AFM 1a and 1b, Quant Methods A &B, Macro & Micro. Then you're set. Second year is business as usual (like any NewSouth student).

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Yeah, isnt that good that UNSW implement those 6 cores for all commerce students.

Like i mean, at MQ, u take one unit or miss out on one unit not on your program structure in your first year, your on a whole different MAJOR.

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Grizzly said:

Fo Accounting, you'd have to do LEGT1711(For CPA/CA), ACCT2522, ACCT2542, LEGT2721 and LEGT2741. But yeh some subjects are only offered in specific Sessions (eg S1 or S2, but some are offered in both S1 and S2), so you have to try fit that all in, along with QMA. Additionally, if you want be eligible for CPA you'll need to do INFS 1602 (not sure if its compulsory for CA though). But yeh, I'd have a look at the Handbook to make sure of all the requirements.

I got full credit (48 Credit Points) from my 1st year subjects at USYD, so yeh I basically just choose 2nd year units now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)