HELP!!! math 1901 lectures (1 Viewer)

ribosome911

HSC
Hey guys,
So I have the lecturer that looks like Santa Claus for Differential Calculus and just don't know how I should study or take notes in his lectures.
The lectures tend to be quite rushed towards the end, and I also find that what we copy off the board are much more complicated/difficult than the materials covered in the course notes and tutorial sheets. It seems that the lecturer is well-known for going off trail a lot, so any advice on whether I should copy down everything, or just attempt to understand the main points in his lectures? I'm so utterly confused here.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
So I have the lecturer that looks like Santa Claus for Differential Calculus and just don't know how I should study or take notes in his lectures.
The lectures tend to be quite rushed towards the end, and I also find that what we copy off the board are much more complicated/difficult than the materials covered in the course notes and tutorial sheets. It seems that the lecturer is well-known for going off trail a lot, so any advice on whether I should copy down everything, or just attempt to understand the main points in his lectures? I'm so utterly confused here.
Haha I know who you are talking about. Dr Cosgrove. I had him too.

Read as MUCH as you can before the actual lecture so you can actually understand the concepts during the lecture, as opposed to just being lost. This is the best way to go.

If you're reading the course notes or anything like that and you have problems understanding a particular concept, feel free to post your question(s) here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1003

We are here to help =)

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
Hey guys,
haha i do MATH1901 too and i feel the same way X)...

JustAnotherOne

HSC
Oh, do I remember this course...

This goes to show just how much tougher uni maths is than school maths. They also have quite a different focus- at school, advanced maths is basically just more normal maths with slightly harder algebra. You can still beat it by just doing lots of questions and understanding the appropriate method to use. Uni maths gets a lot deeper into underlying theory, and not everyone is cut out for it.

I got 95 in 4 Unit maths back at the HSC, and in 1901 I had almost no idea what was going on. In the end, I decided to cut my losses and drop down to 1001, which is much more, well, reasonable. If you aren't seriously contemplating a major in maths or something like that, then it might be worth going back down to normal. I know the deadline has passed, but you might still be able to get away with it- I dropped down after the deadline has passed (for going from advanced to normal versions of the same class they generally don't have any problems with that).

jet

Banned
HSC
Note that while the tutorials and things are simpler, he does decide in the end how you are assessed. His second quiz is notable for being trickier (just wait until you see the sample quiz and the 30 pages of solutions!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)