help: lost hd?!?! (1 Viewer)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
hi guys =D
i did a search on forum and didn't seem to find an answer to this q... this is the situation:

my comp (p3 800) a while ago got infected... so as an emergency measure i formatted my pc using dos floppies (ms dos 6.0)... after formatting, i realise i only have 2 gig on my hd, as contrast to 20 gig as it had...

later 2day, i used partition program (partition magic 7.0) and found 6 gig of unallocated space, totally 8 gig found, 12 gig unaccounted for...

on the partition info, it tells me the partition info for "physical disc1"... so my guess is i got a physical disc2, which is yet to be allocated...

can any one give me some advices regarding this matter?!?!?!

thanks in advance =D

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If you have a windows ME or later installation disk, restart the computer using that and then use the partition program during that setup to locate the remaining space and allocate it as FAT32/NTFS, depending on what filesystem you want, then reboot and these partitions should appear in your "My Computer".

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
seeing less space on HDD than what actually is there is usually due to messy and incorrect partitioning. If you haven't installed anything important yet [os is not important]....just use the windows 98 SE start-up disk and use fdisk to delete all none-dos partitions and then create a new partition with the maximum size of ur HDD. [btw...if u r gonna install win xp...do not create a partition with fdisk.....just start from xp cd...and follow the prompts.....it will ask you to create a partition when there aren't any...and it automatically chooses the maximum size posible.]

to get win 98 se boot disk...just go here: http://www.bootdisk.com/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)