HELP!! King Lear - nihilist or liberal humanist? (1 Viewer)

ashy=princess

HSC
I'm doin an essay on King Lear for english. It is due in a week. I've tried a few times to start it, each time failing miserably.

The essay question is:
Is King Lear a tragic tale of redemption (liberal humanist) or a work with its final mood as one of pessimism (nihilistic)?

I understand the difference between the two readings but i don't know how to incorporate quotes from the play and explain them in terms of the reading i ultimately favour.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
ashy=princess said:
Is King Lear a tragic tale of redemption (liberal humanist) or a work with its final mood as one of pessimism (nihilistic)?

I understand the difference between the two readings but i don't know how to incorporate quotes from the play and explain them in terms of the reading i ultimately favour.
Well, which one do you believe it is? You need to define what you think it is in your thesis statement, and then consider both readings in proving your thesis.

When considering the readings, choose scenes that convey aspects of each reading so you can compare and contrast (eg: Act I, i is a good place to start since Lear's fatal flaw is developed and Lear's view does centre around the concept of nothing...) End each paragraph with a sentence linking to your thesis

Also, you need to look at the qualities of each reading and find quotes that support the readings and your thoughts...

ashy=princess

HSC
well thats the thing, i'm having trouble deciding which one.

I think im leaning more towards nihilism because there's a few basic things to comment on with a wide variety of quotes.

I have to use quotes from the entire play not just certain scenes.

Do you have any suggestions on important quotes for nihilism throughout the play that i could base my essay around, as in to base each paragraph around?

I don't know if that makes any sense, hopefully it does.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
ashy=princess said:
well thats the thing, i'm having trouble deciding which one.

I think im leaning more towards nihilism because there's a few basic things to comment on with a wide variety of quotes.

I have to use quotes from the entire play not just certain scenes.

Do you have any suggestions on important quotes for nihilism throughout the play that i could base my essay around, as in to base each paragraph around?

I don't know if that makes any sense, hopefully it does.
If I were answering the question, I would go 4 the nihilistic view. Never base essays around quotes, but concepts. I can help u with concepts! If ur gonna discuss the nihilistic view, u must consider

1. Lear himself and the belief that nothing brings nothing (I,i) and towards the end that nothing should be allowed to live because Cordelia's death is unfair
2. Gloucester has been blinded (III,vii) and without sight, he is nothing and feels nothing and so wants to die (IV,i-v)
3. The end of the play, where there is reference to the apocalypse. Everything will turn to nothing (Discuss in relation to the Chaos of having Lear and all three daughters dead)
4. In the storm, Lear realises that man's life is insignificant (III,i-iii)

By the way, you still need 2 have elements of an understnading of the LH view bcause u need 2 explain y ur taking the nihilistic view

ashy=princess

HSC
so i basically need to do half my essay on liberal humanist and the other half on nihilism, then state that i decided on nihilism and why in my conclusion?

thank you btw, what u said helped a bit. English is hell.

ccc123

HSC
ashy=princess said:
so i basically need to do half my essay on liberal humanist and the other half on nihilism, then state that i decided on nihilism and why in my conclusion?

thank you btw, what u said helped a bit. English is hell.
Well you can structure it however you want but if I were you I'd briefly acknowledge the humanist side and then establish the argument that the nihlist elements of the play overshadow the humanist shades. To do this, you will obviously need to support your response with textual support.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
ashy=princess said:
What did you mean by that part btw?
If you have looked at productions, then you will find that the LH production (I use Olivier) focuses on Christian beliefs (and uses techniques such as colour etc) while Brook's or Konstinev's (not sure if that's how u spell...) production is black and white and focuses on nothing.

I would also integrate ur answer in the paragraphs instead of just summing it up in the conclusion. So I'd end each supporting paragraph with a sentence such as "(concept) is portrayed more strongly in (reading) allowing (effect). Hence King Lear is seen as more of a (LH/nihilistic)

ashy=princess

HSC
we haven't looked at productions which means i can't talk about them. All i've got to go off are basically the definitions and ideals i guess of both liberal humanist and nihilist and i've obviously got the play.

ccc123

HSC
ashy=princess said:
we haven't looked at productions which means i can't talk about them. All i've got to go off are basically the definitions and ideals i guess of both liberal humanist and nihilist and i've obviously got the play.
There is far less emphasis on productions and critical readings these days. it is more important to have an informed personal reposnse.

ashy=princess

HSC
ccc123 said:
There is far less emphasis on productions and critical readings these days. it is more important to have an informed personal reposnse.
Ok well i understand that and i know i need to find important quotes to back that up, i just have 3 questions:

1. How do i start the essay? (i'm not good at starting essays)
2. How do i conclude the essay?
3. The middle bit is fairly straight forward i guess, just kind of figure out what ur tryin 2 say in that paragraph, find a quote to back it up and explain how it supports what you are trying to say...is that right?

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
ccc123 said:
However, It's ok 2 look at one or two Productions/readings briefly to assist your thesis. If you don't just list of productions/readings in the essay, and actually speak about the reading/production in regards to your interpretation of the play, it is effective.

If I were 2 start this Essay, I would start it by clearly mentioning my point of view, give an outline of why I believe this and introduce what parts of King Lear ur going 2 discuss.

ccc123

HSC
ashy=princess said:
1. How do i start the essay? (i'm not good at starting essays)
You should establish your thesis in the intro. So, if your stance is that King Lear is essentially nihilst, you could begin with something like:

Although liberal humanist theory interprets King Lear's tragic demise as cathartic and redemptive, the pervading pessimism and futility of the concluding scenes would seem to suggest that King lear projects an essentially nihilistic vision.

ashy=princess said:
2. How do i conclude the essay?)
This should basically be an echo of your intro.

ashy=princess said:
3. The middle bit is fairly straight forward i guess, just kind of figure out what ur tryin 2 say in that paragraph, find a quote to back it up and explain how it supports what you are trying to say...is that right?)
You don;t necesarily have to launch into a long ramblle about how a particular quote supports your argument. just have quotes and scene references intergrated to validate your points of discussion.

ashy=princess

HSC
Ok then, well im guna try writing this essay, see how i go.

Thank u soooo much for your help!! it is greatly appreciated!!

ashy=princess

HSC
now we r looking at productions =[
i have an in class assessment 2moz, we were given the question 2day and have to write a speech 2moz answering this question:

" You have been asked to compose a speech which compares and contrasts your personal response to The Tragedy of King Lear with the audio extract (The Tragedy of King Lear; The New Cambridge Shakespeare: Fully Dramatised Audio Version Directed by John Tydeman, London, 2001) and other readings.
Your speech will be delivered at a HSC Study Day and it should refer in detail to the charcterization of King Lear as represented in significant scenes from the play."

We have to directly refer to Act 1, scene 1 and Act 5 scene 3 for the audio extract (cos thats what we listened to)

We also have to refer to the rest of the play.

Need serious help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)