HELP IN Studying for "GEOGRAPHY/HISTORY" (1 Viewer)

YJ90

HSC
Hi,

How is everyone studying for Geography and History, and any tips on what to study for to get a band 5. Because i'm finding it difficult to study for both of them because there is heaps of information involved.

Thanks

Last edited:

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Cram.

:p

Seriously though, just read through them and try to actually understand them. Feel the logics behind it, and it'll be much easier :)

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
For history
1) There are always option avaible in the last 2 extended response (i am guessig here) so just remeber one..such as Vietnam ( i use it simeply because it has alot of info and its easy)

2) Construct a time line a place keyword such as menzies or Vietnam on it to remind yourself of what happened

3)Women's rights, just crap on about the pill and protest did

Our teacher ran away after 1 1/2 terms (not that he taught us anything in that time, we took notes based on what his father did in WWII) and then we had a sub(and we all know what happens when you get a sub). So i basically learnt the whole year 10 history course off by myself and the Excel study guide.

For Geo

1) KNow your terms and symbols, like isobar, contour lines, and weather map symbols.

2) Be absolutly clear on using scales

3) For extended response know off ONE issue. Such as waste management

Just make sure the stuff you are studying are nice and concise. Get to the point and dont crap on.

specialkay

HSC
N/A
Hey there,
I'm doing SC this year too and for history and geography, there are two books which i found very helpful and may help you in achieving a band 5 mark for your sc. I strongly recommend the exel yr 10 SC history and geography study guides but as there is only one week left you might not want to buy them cos it's a bit late to read through it all. What I find good about the books is that they are very direct information with easy to understand language.
Plus there are many other ways you could study such as going through your yr 9 and 10 exercise books and just revising on them. Those books pretty much cover everything that'll be in the test.
If you don't have them anymore, just try getting a list of the topics covered in yr 9 and 10 and try to revise as much as you can on them. There's plenty of information on the net too. =)

Good Luck!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
specialkay said:
Hey there,
I'm doing SC this year too and for history and geography, there are two books which i found very helpful and may help you in achieving a band 5 mark for your sc. I strongly recommend the exel yr 10 SC history and geography study guides but as there is only one week left you might not want to buy them cos it's a bit late to read through it all. What I find good about the books is that they are very direct information with easy to understand language.
Plus there are many other ways you could study such as going through your yr 9 and 10 exercise books and just revising on them. Those books pretty much cover everything that'll be in the test.
If you don't have them anymore, just try getting a list of the topics covered in yr 9 and 10 and try to revise as much as you can on them. There's plenty of information on the net too. =)

Good Luck!
For History (don't know about Geography as I don't teach it) you only need to study Year 10 post 1945 stuff.

People, Power and Politics, Vietnam War Era, Aborigines and either Women or Migrants, and Social Change including your decade study.

topdeck

HSC
For history I have a technique that i use, where i type up a set of focus questions that i need to know, just basics like "What year was the petrov affair?" etc etc,a nd then print it off and see which ones i can answer. This helps me to remember the small details like dates, people names etc. For the more conceptual stuff, do practixe questions that ask for broad answers. For example, something like "analyze the changing role of women in the post-war period" or something of that nature. That way you can test yourself to see if you know what the changes were, the causes of the changes, and the effects, things like that. Also, i remember our teacher once telling us that when your writing your extended responses always try and say WHY soemthing was significant. So when you're making notes always look at why things occured and the effect it had on society. That way you can show to the marker you understand the historical context of the event / person you are writing about.

As far as geography goes, my advice is simply READ THE SYLLABUS. At first i was really put off when our teacher gave it to us, because of all the phrasing and stuff, but if you actually read it it can be really helpful. For example, i was shocking at Coasts, but quite good at Urban Growth and Decline, and when i read the syllabus i found that in the SC i would be able to choose between the two (excpt for multi-chpice). Oh and do past papers!

Hope that helps!

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
yep and the syllabus will become your best friend in senior years so even better to be acquainted with it now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)