help! imagine by John Lennon (1 Viewer)

shazz9876

HSC
Heya Dudes!

Im using this text as my wide reading text in 2 weeks on a writing folio. ANd need to find a way this Song lyrics are related to Imaginative journeys.

All help i can get is greatly appreciated.

Shazza

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Text from: http://www.merseyworld.com/imagine/lyrics/imagine.htm

+The word "imagine" is repeated throughout the whole song to emphasise the human ability to predict and draw conclusions from our actions, also, to question our moral intentions
+It is a personal and reflective song (first person "I hope some day..")
+Ellipsis is used to allow for further comtemplation and speculation
+The contemplative nature of the song is further supported by the slow pace of the song itself, and has an andante (moderately slow tempo) rythm/pace
+Register (the choice of words) is simple and contrasts the connotative meaning/reflection to the poem, as it is somewhat ironic that these aspects that the composer comments on are realistically impossible

buggsy

HSC
oh thanks so much!!! i think i might have to use imagine because my texts suck! the Harris by saun de warren and Haroun and the sea of stories by salman rushdie. but how do u connect it to coleridge ,for eg, and what does it say abou t imaginative journeys??? please help me

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
I'd relate it to Coleridge's "Frost at Midnight" (do you just have to relate it to one poem or the poems in general?)... imagining into the future/imagining into a better future (in the poem he looks forward into the baby's future) and also maybe link the conversational tone of both and the reflective nature of both texts.

At least that's what I'd do :p

buggsy

HSC
oh you legend! thank you so much... it seems so obvious now! if anyone has anymore help i would absolutely love it!

shazz9876

HSC
kimmeh

thanks so much, i have to write about it on monday, so at the moment im doing a practice essay.

once again ur help was all good.
heheh ( i know bad english)

crono

HSC
Within the song lyrics, “Imagine”, by John Lennon there are several notions about Imaginative Journeys that are relayed to the responder. Primarily, the song displays the power of the imagination to create different realities. Responders are asked to, “Imagine”, and are taken on an Imaginative Journey to an idyllic and almost utopian world. Lennon illustrates his dream world as one without religi
religious, cultural and racial boundaries, without greed, hunger and war, and above all else, responders journey to a world where there is unity. This notion of unity, being an ideal of humanity since time began, is reverberated throughout the whole song and places a strong emphasis on the power of the imagination to create and journey to different realities.
Lennon also provides, through the imagination, a sense of escapism and liberation. Responders are ‘freed’ from their hardships, differences and predicaments through their Imaginative Journey. They arrive to a place, via their imagination, to absolute and true peace and harmony. Although responders are only ‘freed’, momentarily, they become equals in their imagined world.
Furthermore, Lennon uses the imagination to convey the ideology of detaching oneself from the end goal, or destination (“Imagine there’s no heaven… no hell below us”) when embarking on the journey of life, or journeys in general. Lennon places a strong emphasis on the importance of focusing on the process of journeying and living for the now (“Imagine all the people / living for today”).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)