• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help im a sport virgin (1 Viewer)

Narelle

HSC
hey kool i got ur attention.. lol

im really UNFIT....

actually one time i remember running my hardest, then overheard some dude comment to his friend "why is she walking so fast"

yesh... really sad

the thing is... im not fat or anything... in fact im really skinny... im like size 6, but its pretty good for my height... actually hot damn i got a good body... lol

i just want to work out/start exercising just to:
-tone up a bit more and
-when running, not wheeze/gasp for air while others around me are breathing normally

BUT i dont want to loose any weight... cause im skinny as it is and its really hard for me to gain weight

my daily exercise routine right now is: nothing
i was too lazy to start exercising before... and every time i did, i would tire out and that would make me more lazy to try.... like a cycle

But i really want to start now

anyone got any tips or anything?... oh and i know a bunch of ppl with similar probs... thanx

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
BreaKing said:
go on one of those mad-ass protein diets
No diet works without exercise. All a protein diet do is to allow muscles to recover quickly after heavy exercising and stimulate growth.

If you're getting tired out and don't want to keep going, it would help if you could find someone else to jog alone with at the same pace. This should help keep you motivated.

As for toning up try some weights session if you don't like running.

Otherwise there is no way of increasing your fitness without aerobic exercises. Just start at a level you're comfortable with and slowing increase the pace.

Narelle

HSC
Templar said:
If you're getting tired out and don't want to keep going, it would help if you could find someone else to jog alone with at the same pace. This should help keep you motivated..
lol... yeah my friends are either sport freaks or like me and really lazy....
aww we use to go bike riding once... remember neuro_logik?
i might start goin with my dog

Templar said:
As for toning up try some weights session if you don't like running.
hehe ok, but their gonna have to be really light weights

Templar said:
Otherwise there is no way of increasing your fitness without aerobic exercises. Just start at a level you're comfortable with and slowing increase the pace.
yeah i wanna get a skipping rope... im just really worried that ill lose weight cause i do easily.... but then when i think about it, sporty ppl tend to be built up and stuff... so maybe i'll put on weight?... somehow

anyway thanks

Jase

HSC
I don't think what you need is toning up. What you need is just aerobics and a healthy diet.

How much do you weigh? and while your at it.. how tall are you?

go for jogs and slowly increase distance/time/speed and decrease breaks..
do starjumps/skipping

i don't know much about diets.. but you should you eat something from EVERY food group in every meal (if possible) i.e. bread/cereal . milk/yoghurt . veges. fruits . protein rich (meat, nuts) . fats.

so yeah, make a timetable for yourself:
Monday:
7am - stretch - 5 minutes jog (500m)- stretch - eat
11am - stretch - 10 minute jog (- lunch
Tuesday:
7am - 10 minute jog (
4pm - 20 minute jog
you know.. something like that.

Dynamix

North by Northwest and then turning slightly East
HSC
as a certified sports nut, i can safely say that unless you work really hard with you exercise (ie very high intensity) you arent going to lose any weight, because your metabolism is lightning quick. If you want to exercise, just go for a walk every evening, 20 minutes, its all you need. A couple of weeks of that and youll be fit as anyone.

Narelle

HSC
Jase said:
I don't think what you need is toning up.
no i dont mean like tonning up the lack of fat i have... like, i don't know its hard to explain... um just getting bigger/more built, instead of looking like a sick stick

Jase said:
How much do you weigh? and while your at it.. how tall are you?.
i preety sure im underweight... i haven't checked recently, last time i did i was really sick and was less than 40 -scary huh?... then i put on some weight but i think i lost it again during exams, hopefully ill gain more christmas

umm im not that tall either... dont know

Jase said:
i don't know much about diets.. but you should you eat something from EVERY food group in every meal (if possible) i.e. bread/cereal . milk/yoghurt . veges. fruits . protein rich (meat, nuts) . fats. .
yeah i love food, im not vegatarian or anything... i just dont gain weight.. i think i have a really fast metabolism

thanks for the advice though

Narelle

HSC
natstar said:
Join a gym. I dont want to loose weight but i go there just to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Or join a sporting club like tennis or netball.
money issue, haven't got a job yet... plus i think it'll feel weird too, mostly fit ppl going and all self concious... hahaha im imagining me lifting weights or something

mmm maybe... thanks

Narelle

HSC
Dynamix said:
as a certified sports nut, i can safely say that unless you work really hard with you exercise (ie very high intensity) you arent going to lose any weight, because your metabolism is lightning quick. If you want to exercise, just go for a walk every evening, 20 minutes, its all you need. A couple of weeks of that and youll be fit as anyone.
kool... i hope i wont lose more weight cause that would be freaky... im scared ill disappear

hey but if wat ur saying is true... wats with other ppl doin exercise with the goal of losing weight?... does that mean its all bs

shannonm

HSC
N/A
burn carbs not fat

do swimming ,bike riding, roller blading that kind of thing

Dynamix

North by Northwest and then turning slightly East
HSC
no, with ppl exercising to lose weight, its because their metabolism is slow, unlike yours or mine. usually exercise for someone who wants to lose weight also takes on a diet of some sort- if u really want to get technical, do what shannonm said and burn carbohydrates instead of fats. These are easier to burn and come from pastas and breads and stuff, so eat plenty of them, but if i were u i wouldnt worry about the technics of it, cos like i said, your metabolism is quick and will take care of things for you.

Narelle

HSC
Dynamix said:
no, with ppl exercising to lose weight, its because their metabolism is slow, unlike yours or mine. usually exercise for someone who wants to lose weight also takes on a diet of some sort- if u really want to get technical, do what shannonm said and burn carbohydrates instead of fats. These are easier to burn and come from pastas and breads and stuff, so eat plenty of them, but if i were u i wouldnt worry about the technics of it, cos like i said, your metabolism is quick and will take care of things for you.
thanx....yeah sounds right, cause like my friends freak at the amount of food i eat and i never put on weight, but i dont lose it either unless im sick.... i tend to always stay the same skinny weight all the time.... well yay for me more food

im not a total couch potato though.... im quite active and stuff day to day -like bubbly sorta, eh i dont know the proper word; and like at parties and stuff i dance like crazy... its just at i never do any proper exercise, i tire out at running and stuff

so yeah... im gonna start actually exercising properly...

in summary:
-"fat" ppl are not the only ones who are unfit...
-its an observation of mine that heaps of ppl dont exercise
-thanx for the replies
-will start exercising

Last edited:

BrenKHS

HSC
Gaining weight is simple. Eat more. Eat larger meals 3 times a day because the more often you eat, the faster your metabolism is.

Protein stays in your stomach much longer than either fat or carbohydrates, so you will be full longer. Protein is essential for muscle growth and maintanance.
Carbohydrate's are burnt much faster than either Fat or Protein. They are a good quick source of energy. Fat has its uses, the brain is maintained by fat. The good types of fat are Omega-3 and polyunsaturated.

With your exercises, it sounds like your Max Volume of Oxygen (VO2) is very small. This will increase with exercise, one of the best ways to increase MAX VO2 is to run up hills.

"Toning up" for most people is losing fat but in your case it means packing on muscle. Push-ups and sit-ups should be sufficient at your weight to make your muscles stand out.

Certain exercises DO NOT burn certain nutrients. Fat is burnt when carbohydrates and protein stores have been depleted.

I've got a friend with the same problem. She has high cholesterol too :(.

Narelle said:
actually hot damn i got a good body
Where you at ? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)