• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help. i need reasons why plants rather than animals are used for experiments (1 Viewer)

carly.knight

HSC
im doing the

"identify data sources and perform a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the effect of environment on phenotype"

and ive got the question

e) provide a number of reasons why plants rather than an animal were selected to undertake this experiment.

i know that its inhumane and all that, depriving a kitty of water, but i just dont know how to word it?

help pleeeeeease.

HSC
because [pea] plants are fast growing and an effective source of information that gives the needed results.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
o0o_chris_o0o said:
an effective source of information that gives the needed results.
This part is 100% a loop. plant is a...type of 'flora' and fruit fly is a type of 'fauna'. lolz.

Besides their high speed of growth, they provide identity of colour, appearance of the skin they can be simply detected without using microscopes. (while fruit flies with red or black eyes or long or short wings require such type of equipments or equally meticulous apparatus). You can use your fingers to examine if the pea has smooth skin, don't you?

Plants are easy to grow and take care of. They are also easy to collect (not so hyperactive like most animals). People can affect their growth and reproduction process by the applies of wind, insects, light, etc. A valuable 'white mouse'.

All these advantages were relevant for scientists during old age when high technology tools weren't available.

I didn't learn this part, just a few analyzing so feel free to correct me.:p

Last edited:

-mz-u-wsh-

Cara Lee
HSC
wow i have to do the same assignment.. but i dont have that question!!

Im so going to fail!

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
carly.knight said:
im doing the

"identify data sources and perform a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the effect of environment on phenotype"

and ive got the question

e) provide a number of reasons why plants rather than an animal were selected to undertake this experiment.

i know that its inhumane and all that, depriving a kitty of water, but i just dont know how to word it?

help pleeeeeease.
its not really about the inhumanity, its harder to control the effect of environment on the phenotype. plants stay where they are and it is easy to observe their phenotypes, it would definitely be harder to perform it on animals because it will be harder to make sure your results are accurate. plants show distinct features, animals dont because they may escape into other environment/conditions, and you have to tag them and everything.

beentherdunthat

HSC
The main point would be that they have fast reproductive rates, and fast growth rates, and hence their feaures would be able to be identified within a shorter period of time... which is ofcourse more efficient then using animals, which might take a year or more to grow into their adult form. They are also easier to control, and maintain. [ Water etc... ]

~Fire Jade~

HSC
Plants grow fast and you can control the environmental factors unlike for animals which have a tendency to move around and be exposed to different environ factors...I think. Don't take my word for it.

HSC
heeey that's my experiment too. it really sucks... we have no specific questions on it or anything. it's basically 'write experimental design. perform experiment & keep logbook. write scientific report.' and that's it.

misbahf

You eat bugs.
HSC
Pea plants were used in Mendel's experiments beacuse:
  • Easy charcteristics to be observed unlike animals
  • Easily observable
  • Easy to grow pure breed species of plants

There was one experiement that used fruit flies to show sexually carried chracteristics.

And that led to a successful experiment because:
  • Fruit flies are a more ethical suitable animals to use
  • Easily bred
  • short gestation period of fruit fly (a week i think)
  • They have a small number of chromosones

That's all i can think of off the top of my head. :)

fretsonfire74

HSC
Plants are used because there are ethical issues using animals, and the phenotype is more easily observed in pea plants. Also, pea plants grow quickly and are cheap, whereas animals can take years and are much more expensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)