Help!!!! I need a good sunscreen!!!! (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
can anyone recommend a cream that is really really good at blocking the sun? im talking the heavy duty sort of stuff, you know. i spent the weekend at the beach and despite applying 30+ sunscreen every 2-3 hours and wearing a shirt in the water i still ended up with peeling red skin *pain*. in case you havent guessed by now im very fair skinned. so yeah anybody know of a brand or product that really works? price isnt an issue, id rather pay 40+ bucks than get cancer and die :S

CieL

HSC
i dont think fair skin + beach + more than 2/3hrs is a good combination

and if you burn like that (frequently over a period of time), you're easily susceptable to skin cancer.. sun block does NOT mean you wont get skin cancer

if normal 30+ doesnt work, nothing will.. cos 30+ is usually between 40-60 already

btw, did u buy waterproof sunscreen?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
you're probably right. i dont know if it was waterproof, but i will look out for one that definitely is. and yeah, im thinking about staying away from the beach for a while. sunburn is not fun. :(

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
ah i completely understand what u mean..im burning atm too! yuckk!
my friend from japan got this tiny 20 ml bottle for $50 and its spf 50!! she didnt get burnt at all!!

i think if ur fair skinned, just accept that u wont get a tan, u'll get burnt..so cover up with a tank or sth.. only my arms get tanned..

u know what works for the pain from sunscreen: vinegar!! but it doesnt help with the peeling unfortunately..and i tried that aftasun stuff...i got the garnier sos after sun gel..doesnt do much for me..but it sure smells cute!

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
any of the hamilton ones are really good. the best is the one with the black label, its like super heavy duty, made for sport except it gives your skin a kind of bluish tinge cos of the titanium oxide stuff (physical blocker) but its really good. another good one is the hamilton quadblock in a stick (with an orange label) its really thick and great for the face cos its 4 hours water resistant and screens UVA UVB UVC & infra red. i think quad block comes in a bottle too. but check out hamilton, from the chemist! the best.

oh and the best way to heal your skin is to use the fresh leaves of an aloe vera plant. cut them open and rub the clear gel on to the sunburn, even better if you put it in the freezer for a little while, soothing and cooling and natural!

HSC
if i were you, id go for the max protection sunscreen and apply the sunscreen every half the recommended time (eg, if it says reapply every 2 hrs, i'd be doing it every hour just to be safe). and check if its water resistant etc.

HSC
N/A
The black Banana Boat one is the best - it's heavy duty, intended for sports, etc etc :)

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
i have the same crap skin that sizzles and burns--ive finally accepted i really need to just stay out of the sun in the middle of the day. ive started going to the beach at 3pm and stuff which os ok -you can stay there till 8 even

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Maybe it's just best to stay out of the sun more, you're risking getting skin cancer everytime you get sun-burnt.

Lainee

HSC
Emily. said:
oh and the best way to heal your skin is to use the fresh leaves of an aloe vera plant. cut them open and rub the clear gel on to the sunburn, even better if you put it in the freezer for a little while, soothing and cooling and natural!
I second the aloe vera. The sap is icky, but it really works a treat for bad sunburns so that you'll have no scar. My cleavage area (from neck to top of boobs) was red and sore about 2 weeks ago from sunbathing in garden and I kept alternating between aloe vera at night and moisturiser in the day and now it's barely noticeable.

Oh, and if any guys are wondering about really good sunscreen made especially for guys, my ex uses Tri-Shave moisturiser that has SPF 30+ (UVB and UVA, which is really good) and he used it after shaving to prevent shaving rash and as a non-greasy moisturiser for his dry skin. It took us a while to find one that suited him (something like 5 different brands) so I highly recommend this one. Off topic, but... useful fact. :eek:

Last edited:

kylie_robbo

Sun Sense. Made by Ego. Scheduled "medication" which means that you can only find it in a pharmacy.

About the 50 SPF thing... Most of the scheduled suncreams are in-excess of 100 SPF. Why doesn't the packaging say so? Cos the government will only let them say a maximum of 30 SPF. Hence why most suncreams available are "30+ SPF".

Talk to a pharmacy assistant. They'll be able to help you.

P

pLuvia

When I go to the beach which is rarely, almost never :p I just use Banana boat

nataliie

HSC
australian cancer council branded sunscreens are the best. they're guaranteed to work and they've got a great range to suit different skin types. price is cheap (about $6 for a big tube) and the money goes towards cancer research. :)

CieL

HSC
daiana said:
my friend from japan got this tiny 20 ml bottle for $50 and its spf 50!! she didnt get burnt at all!!

i think if ur fair skinned, just accept that u wont get a tan, u'll get burnt..so cover up with a tank or sth.. only my arms get tanned..
is your friend asian? majority of asians dont get burnt

i'm fair.. too white in fact.. but when i'm in the sun, i tan easily.. i once got tanned so badly when i was young i was described as "milk chocolate"

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
nataliie said:
australian cancer council branded sunscreens are the best. they're guaranteed to work and they've got a great range to suit different skin types. price is cheap (about $6 for a big tube) and the money goes towards cancer research. :)
that sounds really good, thanks. i think i'll try that, and i guess stay out of the sun... :eek:

karoooh

HSC
Do the australian cancer council branded sunscreens and Banana Boat ones tend to be oily? Cos The ones I've come across (Face of Australia and Garnier) that say they're not oily, are always oily. :(

kaitie

the evenstar
HSC
I'm a redhead and therefore my skin is albino white.
I freckle really easily and burn within about 5 minutes of standing in the winter sun. I feel your pain.

I use SunSense Sport- which is 30+ and water resistant etc. and it works quite well. Banana Boat is fairly thick- but it works too. Sunsense is more like a milk- it's not oily but it doesn't feel like it is doing the job.

I recommend the sunsense more because it's what I survive with and I'm probably fairer than you.

But good on you for being sunsmart- you don't want to look like a piece of old leather when you're older.
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)