Help for case study on Art & Gender!? (1 Viewer)

paigetrappitt

HSC
I have this case study to do and i hav no idea where to start or what artists to look at.
The question is:

How have ideas that reflect societies view about gender (both male & female) been portrayed throughout art history. Discuss this question with reference to four different artists from four distinct art periods. You must describe & analyse at least one example of work for each artist to answer this question. You must make reference to the cultural frame.

Anyone have any tips, notes, ideas for me?:confused:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
paigetrappitt said:
I have this case study to do and i hav no idea where to start or what artists to look at.
The question is:

How have ideas that reflect societies view about gender (both male & female) been portrayed throughout art history. Discuss this question with reference to four different artists from four distinct art periods. You must describe & analyse at least one example of work for each artist to answer this question. You must make reference to the cultural frame.

as a modern take, have a look at the guerrella girls, they reflect society shifting towards empowerment of women

bettina44

HSC
hoe bout gentileschi's 'judtih slaying holofernes' it shows women being empowered during a time where the art world was male dominated

KeepHoldingOn

HSC
paigetrappitt said:
The question is:

You should try Judy Chicago and her artwork "The Dinner Party"
Mel Ramos artwork "The tabacco rose"
Orlan
Cindy Sherman
Guerrilla Girls
and you could even the try the Venus of Willendorf
i hope that helps just look the artist and artworks up as they all relate around gender and how society percieves them :)

Christina168

HSC
You could always go
picasso -demoiselles avignon
Michelangelo- david.
bottecelli- venus and mars
Kahlo- the embrace....
gentileschi- judith slaying holofernes
Yasimura Marimura- to my little sister

bettina44

HSC
Christina168 said:
You could always go
picasso -demoiselles avignon
Michelangelo- david.
bottecelli- venus and mars
Kahlo- the embrace....
gentileschi- judith slaying holofernes
Yasimura Marimura- to my little sister
hey that's what i said

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)