• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help! bio assessment task asking for identification of data sources! (1 Viewer)

lilbeckyboo

HSC
Hi everyone!
I have a task for biology, and i have to prepare a sheet to take into the exam.
part A which is what I have to prepare says:

"You have to conduct research on a non infectious disease.
the information required is specified by the syllabus dot point:

- identify data sources, gather information from secondary sources to analyse and present information about the occurrence, symptoms, cause, treatment/management of a named non infectious disease

you are required to bring your information to your biology lesson and answer the questions on the disease you have studied"

ok... i have researched on chronic lymphocytic leukemia and have lots of information which I think I am fine with; However, I have no idea how to talk about my data sources etc and have no idea about what research I am supposed to have done... I looked at 2 websites?

please help!
thanks,
becky

rr.dun.dun

HSC
lilbeckyboo said:
Hi everyone!
I have a task for biology, and i have to prepare a sheet to take into the exam.
part A which is what I have to prepare says:

"You have to conduct research on a non infectious disease.
the information required is specified by the syllabus dot point:

- identify data sources, gather information from secondary sources to analyse and present information about the occurrence, symptoms, cause, treatment/management of a named non infectious disease

you are required to bring your information to your biology lesson and answer the questions on the disease you have studied"

ok... i have researched on chronic lymphocytic leukemia and have lots of information which I think I am fine with; However, I have no idea how to talk about my data sources etc and have no idea about what research I am supposed to have done... I looked at 2 websites?

please help!
thanks,
becky
you don't have to mention the data sources you actually got you're information from, atleast i doubt you do. although just start out by explaining the diagnosis of leukemia, or occurrence, symptoms, cause, treatment/management.

so it should be structured like a report.

LEUKEMIA

Occurance, diagnosis

cause

symptoms

treatment

management/prevention

hope it helps

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Though it is a common practice to include a bibliography with your report.

lilbeckyboo

HSC
the last one i had mentioned something similar in the assessment sheet, we were asked questions like:

- how do you determine an accurate data source?
- how many mediums of data did you explore?
- how can you gather the most accurate information

etc etc

rr.dun.dun

HSC
lilbeckyboo said:
the last one i had mentioned something similar in the assessment sheet, we were asked questions like:

- how do you determine an accurate data source?
- how many mediums of data did you explore?
- how can you gather the most accurate information

etc etc
ah okay. well if it was more of a class report not a assessment then i don't think you would have to include a bibliography but if you have before, which i haven't thats why i had said it wasn't necessary, then you should.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
info gathered from internet should always be treated with suspicion. (wiki included)

if you have peer reviewed paper, then the credibility would be much better...

if you see two peer reviewed paper citing the same phenomenon, then you can pretty much be rest assured that that info is good.

FerengCheng

Inactive account
HSC
I'm doing something simliar for biology, only we have to research reproductive processes.

The sheet reads:
"-gather information from secondary sources by:
a) accessing information from a range of resources, including popular scientific journals, digital technologies and the Internet
b)practising effiecient data collection techniques to identify useful information in secondary sources
d)summarising and collating informtaion from a range of resources

-present information by:
a)selecting and using appropriate text types, or combinations thereof, for oral and written presentations
b)selecting and using appropriate media to present data and informtation
c)selecting and using appropriate formats to acknowledge sources of information
e)using a variety of pictorial representation to show relationships and present information clearly and succinctly

-identify data sources, gather, process and analyse information from secondary sources and use available evidence

You are required to do your own research to locate and process information about the syllabus points you have been given. You MUST incluse a complete bibliography."

Does that help at all?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)