• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help~ Bio--> anerobic cellular respiration (1 Viewer)

yinyin

HSC
N/A
hey can some one explain to me how does adp and atp links or works as a bio-chemical reaction~
I have no idea what is my teacher babbling about....

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
atp= adenosine triphosphate

adp= adenosine diphosphate

atp = energy + Phosphate + adp
they are the necessary in the crebs cycle to provide energy in biological sysms lik muscles.

yinyin

HSC
N/A
here is the question i'm asking which is a quotation from the syllbus:
identify the general equation for aerobic cellur respiration and outline this as a summary of a chain of biochemical reactions.

P

pLuvia

Aerobic Respiration is a process whereby glucose is broken down into carbon dioxide and water using oxygen and releasing energy.
ADP – Adenosine Diphosphate
ATP – Adenosine Triphosphate

When ATP is broken down it becomes ADP which releases a large amount of energy.

ADP + Glucose + Oxygen ---> Carbon dioxide + Water + ATP (energy)

Respiration occurs in 2 stages: -
First stage, in the cytoplasm of the cells, 2 molecules of ATP is produced, this occurs with anaerobic respiration.

Second stage, in the mitochondria of the cells 36 molecules of ATP is produced, occurring with aerobic respiration.

Respiration involves a series of chemical reactions. It occurs as a sequence of 50 different reactions, each catalysed by a different enzyme. The bonds in the organic molecules, such as sugar are broken releasing small amounts of chemical energy; this energy is transferred to the energy carrier molecule ATP. The energy released is used to convert ADP to ATP so that the energy can be used all around the body. 40% of the energy in glucose is converted into ATP the rest is lost as heat.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Imagine ATP and ADP as a picture.

ADP is 'DI' so it has two phosphates (Adenosine-P-P)
ATP is 'TRI' so it has three (Adenosine-P-P-P)

Energy is stored in the chemical bonds of ATP but when they're broken, energy is released. Therefore it becomes (Adenosine-P-P) (P) In other words, ADP + P

And I apologise for nit-picking what you've said Pluvia but the formula is actually (could be irrelevant)
ADP + P + Glucose + Oxygen ------> Carbon Dioxide + Water + ATP and around 38 molecules of ATP are formed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)