Help...assessment worth 15% on this!!! (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hi guys, my assessment is on ethanol as an alternative fuel, and I'm just wondering where I can find statistics on ethanol consumption as an alternative fuel (cars in particular would be wonderful)..internet, textbooks, etc...plz help! I have one week left so if you could help me, that would be fantastic! thanks!!!

paki_diva

hey
i just did a similar assignment and here's my bibliography, it has books and internet sites. Some stuff probably wouldn't be of any use to u but most probably will.

BOOKS
• 1. Linden Tregarthen, Mandy Naylor
• Macquarie Revision Guides
• Malaysia

• 2. Marilyn Schell, Margaret Hogan
• Surfing Chemistry
• Australia

• 3. C.M.Roebuck, Paladin Editorial
• Excel HSC Chemistry
• Australia

• 4. Roland Smith, Brenda Hamilton
• HSC Course Conquering Chemistry
• Australia

• 5. Debbie Irwin, Ross Farrelly, Deborah Vitlin, Patrick Garnett, Brenda Hamilton
• Chemistry context 2
• Australia

• 6. Geoffery Thickett, Anna Beth
• Chemistry Pathways 2
• Malaysia

WEBSITES:
- www.kcpc.usyd.edu.au/discovery/9.2.3
- http://hsc.csu.edu.au/
- www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/
- http://journalism.uts.edu.au/subjects/oj1/oj1_s2002/amandayoung/cons.html
- http://www.ethanol.org/howethanol.html

plus here's one of my answers:
a) Outline the use of ethanol as an alternative fuel.
b) Evaluate the success of current usage of ethanol

As supplies of petroleum decrease, the use of renewable energy sources has become more attractive. Ethanol is one such fuel that has often been proposed as a possible alternative fuel. Ethanol is a liquid which readily burns:
C2H5OH(l) + 3O2(g) 2CO2(g) + 3H2O(l) + energy

Ethanol can be used in internal combustion engines if it can be economically produced from renewable resources or subsidised as a fuel to reduce air pollution. About 8 million vehicles worldwide currently run on blends containing petrol and alternative fuels, mainly. E.g. Brazil has a few oil reserves, and a very high pollution levels, so ethanol is used extensively. This reduces Brazil’s dependence on expensive foreign oil. Ethanol has also been produced in Australia, but here it is currently considered an uneconomic proposition.

Australia, like many other countries produces a limited amount of petrol-ethanol mixture. There is concern about the sale of 20%ethanol-80%petrol mixtures as petrol. The federal government is planning to restrict petrol to contain no more than 10% ethanol. The engines in motor vehicles do not require any modifications to run on petrol-ethanol mixtures containing less than 15% ethanol but some modifications are necessary for engines running on pure ethanol or high ethanol mixtures. Cars using pure ethanol or a petrol-ethanol mixture release fewer pollutants, particularly.

Although, Ethanol is a renewable resource, reduces greenhouse gases and carbon monoxide and its spills are more easily biodegradable, large areas of land are required for production of raw material, not to mention the high costs of distillation and water removal from the fuel. Also, ethanol based vehicles have to have catalytic converters in the exhaust system in order to remove the organic compounds produced during combustion. Therefore, vehicles running on ethanol do give a better environment but come with high cost and many modifications in the engine. The use of ethanol as a partial or complete substitute for conventional petrochemicals can be viable if its environmental and monetary costs are below those of fossil fuels as in the case of Brazil. It is possible that this will become possible with the development of more energy efficient cultivation and processing methods for the biomatter feedstock.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
You have an actual assignment on it? You lucky bugger.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Not in any commercial capacity.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
i just got my titration prac results back, I fucked it, got 15.5/20.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^ I think I fucked the same prac test with a similar mark.

HSC
sounds like lotsa people have second hand data assessments...every assessment i've had in chem besides exams have been pracs. do you guys have a combination of both? i guess if you just cover all dot points then it doesn't matter...

lum

HSC
is 15.5/20 bad??? i got 16/20 for physics, and i was really happy (besides that fact i thought i stuffed it up)

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
about to kill myself cos i came 2nd for chem prelim and my friend kept raving on and tapping the desk (you know how you get excited and tap sth cos you can't say omg omg out loud?) cos she got 18/20.
Well good for her cos she did study heaps hard (i know it's a prac but still) and I didn't.
But farrrrrrrrrrk *sighs*
I'll try my best next time and ask BOS people to help me out here =(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)