help ASAP (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bubblesss said:
why is cellulose a combustible material?
Cellulose is made up starch that is essentially the collection of 1000-3000 glucose molecules. Therefore, it is a combustible material due to the release of energy inside the starch.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
cellulose is a combustible material due to it is a Carbohydrate. Therefore it contains both hydrogen and oxygen molecules. As this is heated the energy that is stored in the starch is released and the heat released from both teh hydrogen and oxygen make it a combustible material.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
marcquelle said:
cellulose is a combustible material due to it is a Carbohydrate. Therefore it contains both hydrogen and oxygen molecules. As this is heated the energy that is stored in the starch is released and the heat released from both teh hydrogen and oxygen make it a combustible material.
????????

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
marcquelle said:
Not necessarily.

Having hydrogen and oxygen doesn't make the substance combustible.

Take magnesium oxide for a start. Can it get burnt further? I don't think so.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
It'd be cool if you can combust water.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
no i actually asked my chem teacher this *it was in a textbook somewhere as a question* and theres a hell of a lot more too it, but it is because it is a carbohydrate and the hydrogen acts a store for energy (it is a special case) and the energy expelled from the hydrogen bonds is in excess due to it is usually burnt up by enzymes and all this over crap but it s because the hydrogens act as an energy store with the starch molecule. He went on for about 20mins about it so yeah there is a lot too it but it is because it acts as an energy store.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
marcquelle said:
no i actually asked my chem teacher this *it was in a textbook somewhere as a question* and theres a hell of a lot more too it, but it is because it is a carbohydrate and the hydrogen acts a store for energy (it is a special case) and the energy expelled from the hydrogen bonds is in excess due to it is usually burnt up by enzymes and all this over crap but it s because the hydrogens act as an energy store with the starch molecule. He went on for about 20mins about it so yeah there is a lot too it but it is because it acts as an energy store.
Ok, your first point made sense but your second point was totally misleading (where you talked about hydrogen and oxygen).

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
marcquelle said:
Ever thought of carbon being the key point to cellulose's combustability? You even said that it's a hydrocarbon.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
tommykins said:
Ever thought of carbon being the key point to cellulose's combustability? You even said that it's a hydrocarbon.
opps didn't see that i wrote about oxygen opps my bad doi *slaps self on head* i meant Carbon but was thinking of carbon dioxide for some reason lols (tired really am) yeah its not the oxygen its the hydrogen and carbon that cause its combustion but as you know oxygen is required for it to combust (this is what allows it to maintain combustion til a point) stupid me lalalalalala :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)