• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help!!.. any advise (1 Viewer)

j-e-s-1

HSC
Ok so here's my problem.. i dont know if i should drop a subject or not!! the subject being ancient.. i really hate it.. but the catch is if i drop it, i'll have no extra subject to fall back on, if really stuff up any of my other subjects.. im doing really well in all my subjects except ancient.. what should i do?? the thing is i need to make up my mind in the next 5 days.. :-S

ronaldinho

Banned
HSC
if u THINK u can do VERY good in ALL ur other subjets then drop it and u can concetrate on 10 units...

but if u think u might stuff up something else then keep ancient.. ancient is pretty anyway just memorise..

but if u can kill the other subjects then its prolly best to drop..

goodluck iwth it!

kc-ok-la

HSC
just drop it, seriously,
if you hate it, just drop it

no more questions

if you hate it ur likely to participate less and work on it less cause it sux the most to you

just drop it you got 10 more units

and also youll have more free's in which is great in year 12

Pubert

HSC
I think you should give it a chance. You should try and change your attitude towards it and once you start beating other people in your class you will more than likely enjoy it alot more. If you still hate it then you can just drop it any time in yr12. So what difference does it make if you actually put some effort in to get good at it and then motivation to work for it will come by itself.

This hapens to be the same case with me in chemistry, i absolutely hated it and couldnt stand it but when i was studying for my prelim examinations i actually put some effort in and found out it was actually quite enjoyable.

I believe the pros far out weigh the cons to keep the subject. If you drop it now and later in the first term you find out you cant, even if you tried, go well in another subject you wont really have any extra units. So there really isnt any harm in keeping the subject and dropping it when you are absolutely sure.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
A lot of courses you will find get better in HSC. I know personally I didn't really like Modern History in preliminary just the content was bleh but in HSC it’s quite interesting and does offer a good general world history.

My advice would be just try it for the first couple of weeks and then if you really don't like it drop it. As there is really no point in doing 12 units if you hate 2 units and don't intend putting the time and effort into those 2 units you might as well drop it.

You can drop anytime even up to a few days before the HSC so not to worry give it another go and if you truly don't like it then you can drop it knowing you gave it your all.

vizman

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Keep it for a few weeks, if your feelings towards the subject and your marks for anicient doesn't change, then drop it.
i agree, it certainly doesn't hurt to hold it on for a few weeks

-pari-

HSC
N/A
keep it for a few weeks, but don't drag it on thinking it might get better later on

set a date...give yourself a few weeks. in my opinion if you end up dropping it, the quicker the better (to some extent) so you can free up that time u'd use in ancient in something else.

also in terms of determining if to drop or not, you should also consider how confident you are in you other subjects. also are you doing an extension?
some people find it easier to pull off 10 units if they don't have extensions.

regardless, if you're fairly confident and comfortable with the rest of your subjects then even if you drop it shouldn't be too much problem anyway. don't keep something u hate for the sake of 'what if i stuff up in one of my units'.

if you hate the subject, chances are, the units u might stuff up in will be those ones ;)

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
I should agree in keeping ancient history for a few weeks because it's a 2u subject, but personally I'd drop it straight away because then I wouldn't have to worry about the subject as a burden all at once. I dropped maths ext1 (it's only 1U) and so i'm left with 10 units in which I now have more freedom because I know that I will have more time to concentrate on just my 5 subjects, which gives me a better preparation :)

kathrynso

HSC
The problem with me is that I really dislike health [but I'm going to keep it for a little while and see if the teaching patterns change] but my teachers strongly advise in me keeping it and dropping dance. But, i love dance, their reason is that it'll bring my marks down [ok, so it'll be hard being next to the Newtown girls/guys] so I don't know what to do. I'm currently holding 13 UAI units and 1 non-UAI which is psych, to me its a bludge but interesting too. Next dilemma is also wanting to do Ext II maths.. don't know yet, I will check with my teacher on Monday.

What's your opinion on this?

Amaybro

HSC
Kathryn i think you should try to stick with both your strengths and the things you like. But, having said that, dance is something you can pursue outside school as well (classes for fun rather than for marks) where you're likely to enjoy dancing more without the pressure of assesments and marking.

If i were you i would drop dance, and do it outside school. with health i would wait a couple of weeks and if you don't like it drop it..

Its great do have a back up doing more than 10 units but at the end of the day you're working on something that isnt going to count so if you dont like it drop that instead of, or along with dance...

If you drop both you should definetly consider doing extension 2 maths ( i read somewhere you came in the top 3 of your skool for ext1?) but then again - interests and abilities, combine them...

I know ive been rambling a bit but... haha i hope ive helped in some weird way :p

klaw

HSC
j-e-s-1 said:
Ok so here's my problem.. i dont know if i should drop a subject or not!! the subject being ancient.. i really hate it.. but the catch is if i drop it, i'll have no extra subject to fall back on, if really stuff up any of my other subjects.. im doing really well in all my subjects except ancient.. what should i do?? the thing is i need to make up my mind in the next 5 days.. :-S
Before you decide, you should ask yourself a few questions:
* Even though you hate it, do you do well in it?
I know many people who hate the subjects they're doing but they're doing very well at it. Some people will argue that there is no point doing subjects you hate, but afterall, you'll only have to endure doing 2 units for one year. In the end, if you don't get the UAI you need for your university degree, you will have to transfer/repeat HSC/get tafe certificate that all involve an element of RISK + a wasted year most of the time. There is no guarantee that you will get into the course you want if you don't make the UAI cutoff.

* If you drop ancient, will all your units be RELIABLE?
Can you rely on all ten units to maximise your UAI? Do you do a very subjective course with very subjective marking teachers? Are you likely to screw up one element of a subject? One subject can dramatically lower your UAI if you do drastically bad in it

* What UAI do the courses you're interested in require?
Around how hard will it be to achieve the UAI you require? If the course you're interested in doing requires like 80 UAI and you're confident that you can get around 95 UAI then you can afford the lower security.

* Are you even interested in going to uni?
Are you seeking to go to uni? If you don't intend to go to uni then you don't have to worry too much.

j-e-s-1

HSC
thanks Guys you're GREAT!! i now know what do now.. and ancients going!! ill still have 12 units to concentrate on.. so hopefully it'll all go alright..!!! thanks again guys!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)