Help, am I going to fail CUL 101? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thommy

HSC
N/A
Firstly, we're not talking about participation. The issue here is clearly attendance. You don't think missing class should mean a fail? That's pretty dumb, don't you think?

Secondly, regardless of what you think should be the case, class attendance is compulsory in essentially every class for reasons which are obvious.
CUL 101 tutes are a waste of time anyway. We do nothing.

thommy

HSC
N/A
So you honestly don't think students should have to attend their classes?
Yes, I don't think we should have to, IMO it's a waste of time.

And as macca said, who really is going to read the entire course outline? I mean, let's be serious here.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You're welcome macca. I do agree about Asylum, he is being quite rude to you.

I'm trying to be nice, and I'm on your side. Participation shouldn't mean you fail.

And Asylum, you could be a bit nicer. Everyone makes mistakes, and accidents do happen.
Truth hurts, if you don't like it perhaps the real world isn't for you. I'd much rather tell him the truth, than try and 'play nice' and give him misinformation.

And as macca said, who really is going to read the entire course outline? I mean, let's be serious here.
Most students do, seeing as its part of the requirements for the course that you understand the requirements for the completing the course. If you don't want to read it, that's up to you, but as macca has shown, you do so at your own peril.

In the real world, if you don't read your contract then disagree with something in there after signing it, you've got very little to stand on, its no different here.

Last edited:

mrbsting

HSC
To be honest I'm not really a fan of the 80% attendance rule especially when one is trying to juggle full time work commitments with a full time degree. As Asylum pointed out you really need to read the unit outline and if you have doubts throughout the semester then re-read.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
To be honest I'm not really a fan of the 80% attendance rule especially when one is trying to juggle full time work commitments with a full time degree. As Asylum pointed out you really need to read the unit outline and if you have doubts throughout the semester then re-read.
Well, 'full-time' work is just as it states, full-time, otherwise it'd be part-time. If you're trying to juggle two things which are 'full-time' then obviously you're going to have issues.

Macquarie is one of the better unis to support working students anyway, between ilectures, evening classes, external offerings and a fairly comprehensive customisable timetable, they do recognise the pressures students go through.

2S1D3

HSC
I didn't get there until 2.50 on each day, and the totorial goes from 2-3.
Well, there you go, you can't really call that participation can you? But I have to agree with the others, couldn't you have READ the outline and at least talked to your tutor? I mean uni has started 9 weeks ago, you should've taken some responsibility in attending the classes on time right?

Poad

HSC
Heh. This thread is funny.

Im about 90% sure that macca and thommy are the same person. :haha:

X

xeuyrawp

Yes, I don't think we should have to, IMO it's a waste of time.
You think class is a waste of time. Good job? Since you're so advanced and thus don't need to go to class, surely your tutor will be impressed with your essays/exam/whatever and let you off the hook. :rolleyes:

This thread is definitely a waste of everybody's time, so I'm closing it. To summarise,

1. You need to read your entire course outline. There's a reason why it's given to you and is referred to so constantly,
2. you need to complete all assessments. If class attendance is a pass/fail assessment (which it is in this case), you need to notify the tutor. If you are unhappy with what the tutor says, you can see the convener,
3. at university, you're completely in charge of yourself. If you don't do what you're supposed to do, you're screwed.
I will add:
4. When you screw up, don't come on here and whinge about how it's not your fault because class is a waste of time etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)