help! 4 unit maths or not? (1 Viewer)

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
hey i'm really indecisive and i have asked a lot of people but haven't given me enough advice for me to decide what to do!

I'm not super -brilliant at maths, but my teacher said i would be capable of doing it.

but, it would mean i would be doing 13 units, which is annoying. a lot of people i know have done 13 units with 4 unit maths, and it ended up counting for them and they were really glad they kept it.

other people have been saying that 4 unit will break my back and it'll make my other subjects worse. so what do you guys think? that it is worth the extra effort?

the subjects im taking would be : 4 maths, 2 eng (i am most probably dropping extension), 3 music, 2 physics, 2 economics

some people have been saying i should drop economics, and keep all my extension subjects (that would make 12 units -- 4u maths, 3 eng, 3 music, 2 physics) but my dean said this would be risky.

arrgh this is annoying :bomb: advice would be appreciated :wave:

HSC
well its up to you. if your teacher says you're capable of doing 4u maths then they are probably right. question is, are you willing to put in the hard work required to go well in it? if you're not then stick with 3u.

just go with what you're good at and what you enjoy doing.

Evergreen

HSC
Definately pick up 4unit maths. You can drop english ext and maybe another subject. Doing 11 units is not risky if you are willing to work hard for all your subjects, especially maths.

We have already started complex numbers... i actually find some 3unit topics harder than this topic.. its sooooooo different to 3unit and also quite interesting. but as with all maths questions in HSC they get repetitive...

James747

HSC
As said beofre, if your teacher thinks you're capable, and if you want to do it, then go for it.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
I think it would be better for you to do maths 4u. Even if you dont think that you are the best at maths you must be pretty good if your teacher thinks you can handle it.

And doing maths 4u would be much more benficial than english 3u. I dropped english extention after hearing how much work it is, the fact that it doesnt scale that well (compared to subjects like 4u maths) and alot of people who do it with 12 units dont even get it included in their UAI (especially when you are doing high scaling subjects like economics, physics and music).

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
hey thanks for the replies. i've decided i'm going to try it out and do 14 units :S until the first 4u assessment which is in week6, i reckon if i do well i will keep it, and if i fail miserably ill drop it, and if i do OK -- i guess i'll have to do a lot of thinking, lol

ywontuend

HSC
hey ~above~

i have had the same prob..

at the moment im sittin on 15 units with four unit math!!

it has seemed hard but i figure i mite as well try it and if it gets too much...well..

of it goes!!

good luck....!!!

Foxodi

HSC
If your willing to put the hours in (considering 4units of maths should be 1.5-2hours a night) then defiantly do it. (drop Ext English but :D)

Sarsy

HSC
I was in that situation, and I decided to go with it. And as everyone else has said, if your teacher reckons your capable enough to do it, do it!

gm.haider3000

HSC
hey pick up 4unit its amazing just to let you know you dont need that much english in your life man com on im currently doing 4unit maths eco and business tudies and stnd english and im happy with it

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Technically, you don't even need a Uni degree in life. Experience > academics.

twilight1412

HSC
tommykins said:
Technically, you don't even need a Uni degree in life. Experience > academics.
lol nice advice

anyway you should take up 4u maths and then drop it if you find you cant handle it
if your doing your 2u assessments as well then there should be no problems
physics should make motion a breeze so thats one topic out of the way :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)