Hello you cool bunch of people! (1 Viewer)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yeh i was just wondering whether you need to apply for a library card or you could just use your student card. and if you need to apply (which i think you do but i'm not really sure), does anyone know how long this would take.

and also, when i search on the library catalogue, sometimes there are no links to "holdings" which usually tells me the call number. so i can't find the call number on them, all it says is that the publication format is BK, what does that meeeeean and where can i fiiiiiiiiiind it

p.s. is it just me or does the whole search for related subject link thing doesn't work

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
i only go in there to get change from the change machine for the arcades lol :p

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
lol all i know about the library is that it is a big tall brick building next to a lawn.

student card works but you goto Usyd right? ...im not really sure about the process... as for subjects, dont use them as the library catogorise EXACT names for each book, so use key words instead...

dunno anything else ... i like left the library oreientation tour after 20 min cuz it was dead boring ...sorry

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Toodulu
yeh i was just wondering whether you need to apply for a library card or you could just use your student card. and if you need to apply (which i think you do but i'm not really sure), does anyone know how long this would take.
i THINK we use student cards, i wouldnt know about you sorry :(

i tried

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
argh....
haha...1st years..

you use student cards to borrow books...its week 5 and you still havent borrowed a book before? :) just remember to check your unimail cos sometimes they recall the book earlier..so annoying

and...call number? thats the thing telling you where the book is right? its on the right at your search results page...just click that...it'll tell you what level and stuff its on....that what you mean?

kaseita

the only card you'd need to apply for (if u want one) is a copy card (for photocopying), and as far as I know, they just give u one when u ask for it, and pay, and you set your pin code.

no idea what a call number is... I think BK means book...(then again, it could be more sophisticated, but you did mention 'publication format').

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Originally posted by jay2000
argh....
haha...1st years..
supposedly usyd'ers :eek:

But still they're welcome to browse through the very complete catalogue of UNSW which would otherwise be unavailable in other universities (that is, if you actually can)...

btw the library site is a bit ambiguous, even to me..

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
toods..how can you borrow from unsw library anyway?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yep i've got the whole card thing sorted out now, still a bit confused as to why they don't list the call numbers on some books (aka bk :p)

and minai, non-unsw ppl can pay 50 bucks for year membership
.... or i could get my friend to borrow them for me. an ingenious concept no one else has ever thought of, i'm sure.

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
.... or i could get my friend to borrow them for me. an ingenious concept no one else has ever thought of, i'm sure.
are you talking abt that national thing?
i remember reading somewhere u can get a one yr membership library card which entitles you to borrow from any university library in australia..though it was abit pricey if i rmeember correctly

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
trust me, I came up with that idea before you, or anyone else. it was last week actually, when my gf borrowed a psych book with my card as it was on loan at usyd

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
haha way to take what i said literally, you literalface
and is it true that the unsw library is self-service?

i don't know if the 50 bucks allows you to borrow from any library.. i just read about it at the unsw library site and i'm not planning on paying that much! i may as well stay there for the whole day and finish my assignment.

usyd may have lots of books, but it's all old and dusty and i have to find stuff published in the last 5 years. all the good books are gone from fisher library already :(
meanwhile, i did a search on unsw catalogue, and lots of new and (i'm guessing) shiny books came up. yay. unsw scores a point.. pity about the stairs though :p

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
just walk down to level 7 to catch the lift....you dont have to wait as long there...

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
yeah thankz :p

i will def do that next time

and wotz the condition of ur macro textbook? :p
mmm....barely touched it...haha...i didnt study much you see...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
haha way to take what i said literally, you literalface
and is it true that the unsw library is self-service?
lol way to not pick up on sarcasm, you cataclysm
yes, its self service to borrow
I can borrow books for you if you want, since I never borrow from the library..

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
haha well i already went today, but i'll find you next time i need to borrow books :p

p.s. you guys have way better food. pity about the long bus trip :(

oh and your chupa chups are 50c! it's like a dollar for 3 at usyd.
haha i always carry lots of chupa chups on me :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)