helllpppp (1 Viewer)

bassbeats.

HSC
Hiya people.

So I am a little confused as to what I should do at the moment.

Currently I am enrolled in a Bachelor of Laws at Bond University. I am in my second semester, and upon getting into some of the core, serious units, I am finding them kind of...boring. Also, I do not feel comfortable with or like the way my course is assessed. Not as in I think it's wrong, but as in the advocacy and discussion kind of assessments we have don't really suit me, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I am considering transfering to another university to study a science-related course. During highschool I enjoyed science and maths the most, but randomly chose to study law because I was interested in foreign affairs. However, I feel this interest was more in the reading of current world affairs and things like that, not so much in a law degree.

I feel that the only two things holding me to where I am now is the fact that I could be finished in 2 years from now (Bond has trimesters) and the money I have spent.

I don't really know what I'm trying to ask. Probably if you think I have given law enough chance? I am in the 4th week of my second semester, I think I have.

I feel it is better to change now than to waste more time! What do you think?

bubbly89

HSC
Heaps on people change degrees, and usually you have a pretty good idea after two semesters of it whether you like it or not.

I guess if I was you I'd look into all the options possible, about what you could do

-> double degree
-> "try out" a science course and see if you're interested in
-> transfer into a public uni and do a double degree
-> transfer and do a single degree
-> defer law for a year and do just plain science for a year see if you like it

I'd also talk to some older law students, see when things get hard and boring its really easy to go "gosh why am I doing this" when in reality you're just going through a really gay part of the course which just has to be beaten through. So every time I feel overwhelmed, just someone older then me saying 'that was really hard when I did it' makes me feel that its not just me.

Also you might like to think about where you want to be heading in terms of career, if you still want to do foreign affairs a law degree would help you a lot, you could narrow that down to science affairs by combining a degree. Its hard because you didn't mention which part of science you're interested in, I personally love bio, but other parts of science I hate.

Have you thought about talking to your a career person at your uni? They're usually really helpful about what you could do.

Don't feel bad at all about changing your mind, our visions about our courses and how they will turn out is impossible to predict. I've met some people who love their course, while others just can't wait to change. That's why the unis make an effort to have a flexible first year.

Best of luck with your decision

bassbeats.

HSC
Hi, and thank you for the serious replies.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. The only thing I am apprehensive about is that I might regret my decision, and that I don't know what studying science at unviersity is like. But I will have a serious think about that.

Bond, for law, from what I can tell is actually quite good. Haha funny I say that when I don't like it, but the teaching if very thorough and very practical based, not just theories. All of our assessments are in the form of either mediation or advocacy, so you get a taste for the real thing.

Hence why I feel I have a taste of what it would be like in the real world.

Hmmm..big decisions!

If I did change, what's UQ like for a B. Science? That is what I would do first for 2nd semester this year, then change to pharmacy or something like that...

doink

Clone
HSC
Whatever you do please do not transfer into a straight science degree, the job prospects just aren't worth it. Engineering, despite being difficult will guarantee you a job and it has equal or more science than a normal science degree plus the maths which you said you enjoyed. Also the field is more diverse and allows you to apply science to the physical world rather than just explore theory. Since you did law you obviously enjoyed practical which is also a huge component of engineering.

However if you wish you can do science/law which allows you the prospects of being a lawyer combined with the cool subjects that a BSc would let you choose.

bassbeats.

HSC
I was thinking of only doing B.Science for a semester, because pharmacy only starts in semester 1 of each year. That way I could maybe get credit for some courses I did in that semester, or get good marks enough to push my UAI up (It was 95.35 and you need like, 96 to get into pharmacy).

But yep, my other idea was to start a B.Science/B.Engineering double, and I could start that next semester. Doing something like chemical or materials engineering.

What are the contact hours like for such a degree, does anybody know? Just that I stupidly just signed a 14 week lease to place on the Gold Coast and so would probably need to commute every day. I have a lot or friends in Brisbane I could easily stay with but I am paying for a place here.

Does anyone know if you can cancel a lease? Pretty sure you can't. Haha.

bubbly89

HSC
you want to do engineering?? **massive shudder** I know they pay you lots... but ... you have be an engineer.

anyway

From what you've said, I think the best would be for you to defer your law subjects for a year/semester. I'm pretty sure this is possible, that way if it really was a mistake, you could always go back.

doink

Clone
HSC
yeh u have to be an engineer, dam all those employers all over you and being able to make anything you want and solve problems sounds like a sucky job. Much better to stand in a lab mixing blood all day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)