heinemann IPT txtbook and a bit of encouragement (1 Viewer)

HSC
ok i'm still doing IPT in yr 11 but lately i've realised that the only study my class has done is writing summaries from the heinemann book and going on the computer making spreadsheets. but everyone forgets it by the next lesson. is this a reliable textbook for yr 11 and yr 12 or do i need to txt
also my class are very discouraged in doing well or enjoying this subject. so do any of you know any other good books or good study methods in order to succeed IPT?
also, i cannot change courses cos all the other subjects are very very full last term when we get to change subjects (thanks for the encouragement by the way :D :D ) and if i drop this subject, i'm left with only 10 units and i want to keep 12 units leaving this as a backup course (all my other subjects are good). the only thing that makes me feel enjoyed in this subject is that it's a small (17 ppl), i'm good in this subject and my friend always nickname it from the 'ITP' advertisement a while back.

yc

You can score 80+ just memorising the textbook, granted you have some comprehension skills and can slap the right memorised answers for the right questions.

That said, Heiny is an Ok book but you'd want to combine it with the Jacaranda IPT book to get the best understanding you can.

Neither book is enough in my opinion as they explain certain parts differently, one better one worse (or sometimes just wrong). Overall the Jacaranda is a better book but I recommend both.

As for your class, 90% of my class did nothing in class except talk and ass around in MS Paint, the class averaged Band 4/5, it's not a difficult subject to score moderately well in but if you want Band 6 it takes a bit more work, not too much on the work side but it's like an art to answering questions :D

Also it's quite easy to teach yourself IPT with more difficult questions directed towards your teacher after class 1-on-1 (no distractions). So don't worry too much if your class as whole seems to be going no where :)

Stick with it, 12 units is good, it's not a bad subject

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
mmm i wud say dont go with bands...ipt scaling is not too good...try get the best mark u cud....bands dont matter in the end anyway...its ur rank that counts and finally most imortantly the uai counts!

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
the way with most hsc subjects these days are full memorising
ipt i would say is 90% memory based and 10% your creativity

summerising the textbook is the best study you can do, and then doing past papers would be the next best thing!

grendel

day dreamer
HSC
N/A
the heinemann text for ipt is the poorest of the available text books.

not sure if the davis text for ipt is available yet but if his sdd text is anything to go by it should be excellent. get a copy.

its important to remember that all of the theory has to be viewed in context, i.e some real life informaton system.

doing case studies will also be helpful as many of the short and extended answer questions in hsc exams refer to real life systems.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I quite liked the heinemann text for ipt. It's all personal preference, of course.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
yeh i like heineman too

compared to books like excel guides and jacarada...

heineman is the better one out of the lot

Blay

the TwinBlade
would it be safe to say that we're all from SYDNEY
HSC
personally, like lundy, i'm rather happy with the Heiny IPT book. Our school uses it and tho everyone forgets everything, make sure you don't ;)

right now i'm leafing through both the Prelim and HSC books copying out and summarising all the words highlighted in bold. Those are very useful words in the Heiny text books.

ERmm.. i haven't tried Jacaranda's but i'm sure they're pretty good too considering that we are using their texts for Physics (damn thick book too :S).

Towards the trials i plan on going round looking for the Success One IPT past paper book to do some past papers.

Oh yeh, it helps to stay ahead of the teacher, don't be afraid (or in my case, lazy) to look on ahead in the textbook. And don't worry, like redslert said, it's mostly to do with memorising what the textbook says AHHAHA and if there aren't any competition in your class (like with mine), all the better LOL easy course to get 1st in assessments... ;) good luck

Last edited:

SamD

HSC
N/A
My IPT Prelim Text is not yet available. Should be out in about 6 weeks.

There are some sample chapters available at www.pedc.com.au

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Heinmann by Powers
Jacaranda IPT by Peter Ware
Get Smart
IPT by Caroline Wilson
Excel HSC IPT in a month
Macquarie IPT guide

are the few books i know of:)

Scanorama

HSC
Speaking of textbooks, as other have suggested it is a good idea to combine both, but let alone, the Jacaranda one is better than Heinemann, the same goes for sdd, Davis one is bettert than Heinemann, but again it is a good idea to combine both.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Okay Heinemann is alright for ipt

but heinemann for SDD IS SO SHIT!!!! Omg It is terrible!!! sorry , but its really bad ......

Beaker

I use both.. more so heinemann now.. but i always read both.. they tackle different topics differently..

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by Beaker
I use both.. more so heinemann now.. but i always read both.. they tackle different topics differently..
true...jacaranda has the best sections on social and ethical issues...if u read them once u'd remember them...due to the ease of explaination./...

also ur school wud have "encarta encyclopedia" CD's....print out the topic in "Internet Security"....--> very helpful!

Winston

HSC
Heineman books suck i hated them all, if you're going for IPT or SDD textbook wise, go for Sam Davis.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by lil_star
true...jacaranda has the best sections on social and ethical issues...if u read them once u'd remember them...due to the ease of explaination./..
but socialy and ethical issues is mainly BS...i made up most of the answers in the spot for all the questions
didn't really require any technical knowledge, it was more common sense

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
yeah i agree....but its just hard to forget if uve read Jacaranda:D

xeriphic

anyone know where i could get a copy of jacaranda ipt, our teacher recommended though i can't seem to find one at dymocks

agreed with Seraph, SDD heinemann is really bad, half the diagrams are wrong

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by xeriphic
anyone know where i could get a copy of jacaranda ipt, our teacher recommended though i can't seem to find one at dymocks

agreed with Seraph, SDD heinemann is really bad, half the diagrams are wrong
half the diagrams are wrong?! i wouldn't say that! not that there are many of them, most of the ones i can remember were pretty accurate

jacaranda ipt is everywhere, maybe your going to small dymocks...

there is a shop in burwood called HB bookstore...it's not near westfields...it's like a 15min walk towards campsie down burwood road....that bookstore has basically every hsc textbook/school books from k-12

you can get a student discount, if you show them that the book is on your booklist...same with most book stores

i'm sure the the city bookstores would have it too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)