• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HECS help (1 Viewer)

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
look this may sound like a dumb question now....but i thought I knew the hecs process well .... but now my friends are confusing me:

ok...I'm doing medical science next year and I applied for the hecs place....the student contribution for that is around $8000.....the full fee of that course is actually $19200 ..... what happens to the $11000 or so?... will I have to pay that back to the government when I get a job....

because my friend told me that we pay the student contribution and when we get a job we pay the rest back....i thought that the government paid for most of the cost and we only pay the student contribution to study....can anyone help? ...thanx.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
this may sound like a stupid question but is hecs-help the same as hecs
i am doing my enrolment and my parents a confusing me...

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
mizz_smee said:
this may sound like a stupid question but is hecs-help the same as hecs
i am doing my enrolment and my parents a confusing me...
hecs-help is the loan to pay your hecs fees so basically its the same thing.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
what do i do? at enrollment im meant to give them my tax file number but i dont have one yet. i need hecs help but what do i do without a tfn?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
natstar said:
You need to get a TFN asap. If you dont have one for enrolment day let the uni know, but u will have up and to the census date (March 31) to get urself a TFN, otherwise ur institution will cancel ur enrolment

From the Going to Uni Website

http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/F...aceAndHECS-HELP/ImportantDatesCensusDates.htm

Importance of the census date

The census date is important because it is the deadline for all the following:

finalising your enrolment with your higher education provider
completing and submitting your Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form
paying part or all of your student contribution up-front, if you wish to pay up-front
providing your Tax File Number, if you request a HECS-HELP loan.
thanks so much for that natstar!!! :)

specialjenny

HSC
Okay, sorry just to sum it up, so the student contribution fees is the ONLY thing we pay?? And we don't ever have to pay the other $11000 or so back?

And a friend of mine was telling me that he could somehow get a loan from bank so you don't have to pay anything until you get a job....maybe he's confused with HECS. :S

specialjenny

HSC
Got ya now yeah I did mean full fees and I am a HECS student Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)