Hecs-help (1 Viewer)

ashjw84

can you use the money for hecs-help on study related expenses like housing if you move interstate ?

mishka

HSC
N/A
no, i don't think you can...

cayte

The only thing that's changed (apart from the fairness) of the HECS system is the names, in order to make the students feel more grateful to the government for kindly assisting them through their quality education. In short, to make us feel guilty for the strain we're placing on society.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
how mcuh would centrlink give you then? cause ive heard its pretty much useless unless you like living in a shithole working more than one job not at uni

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
ah ok cause i get youth allowance for something like $160 a fortnight

im wondering if its a wise idea to move out if i do go to uni

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
mm ill have to think about- at the moment i might not get into uni........was lazy all year

so if i dont get into uni ill work next year and do a tafe course for credit points

but otherwise i don tlike the idea of struggling with uni cause i probably wouldnt like doing it consciously thinking about a budget all the time. mate of mine got busted by centrelink cause he kept on getting payments when his parents were recieving their pension whatever money that counted as income. so now hes working to pay off the debt

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
ah ok- i only turned 18 recently so apparently im meant to be getting the payments made directly into my account because my mother works as a secretary and doesnt earn that much- basically my family is living on the divorce settlement we recieved a year or 2 ago....and theyre all driving me nuts, but its no good movie out if u goto uni and have to worry about work and money

seems like a lot of stress no matter what i do

theone123

blue essence
HSC
yet i still do not entirely understand the new system, its so complex :p

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm earning the $16K in 18 months while at uni.... crazyness!!!!

But it isn't that hard to earn enough to live away, as long as you have a semi decent job. I support myself and I live in the middle of Sydney where rent (well, everything) is most expensive. You just have to be careful with your spending and be willing to sacrifice your social life a bit to work.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Not only the fairness and name have changed. You also have less incentive to pay up front (maximum discount is now only 20%) so even more graduates will be tempted to completely defer all debts and take expat positions (no Australian taxes = no HECS payments).

I know I'm considering it.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
I pay upfront and that sux about decreasing the discount. I mean isent it money they want, so why have less incentives for strudents to pay up front?
It won't affect you, though, will it? Because you're still in your pre-2005 degree, so you'll come under the old system and get the 25% discount...or am I wrong?

cayte

Yes, they're reducing the upfront discount for everyone, but the amount of HECS you pay stays under the old system (ie you don't suffer the 30% increase or whatever it is). So you're a whole lot better off than anyone who starts uni this year.

Glaciana

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
You get the discount if u pay up front every semester. But its only 20%, instead of 25%
I also pay up-front. It really sucks about the discount % being reduced.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
at least we dont have to pay the 30%+ increase...luckily

Tammie

yeah well thats he government for you raising taxes n payments...lol thats all they ever seem to do...they dont hardly ever fix the education or health system....oh well i'll have to work my ass off for a year and defeer coz i dont get any money and my parents still can't afford to give me much ....oh well shit happens ill b poor until i finish uni!!!

Tammie

Um im not quite sure yet it depends on where i get in...but i will have to be independent..so ill have to defer for a yr and work so i'll get some money. I probably could stay at home but wouldn't have n e time to study coz i'ld have to work. My parents arent far above the cut off for YA and if i dont get it i'll have to find a way to pay for text books, food and travel, which is pretty hard on a part-time job travelling to syd at least 3x a week. so it'll probably be easier. It kinda sux but i wanna do well at uni and only want to work to give a little to help me,but if im wrking all the time i cant study....

Whats ever1 else doing? Are you's staying at home n working? or living on campus?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
haha also everyone got 7 years to complete there degree or else, no else HECS-HELP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)