HECS help (1 Viewer)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
can someone please explain HECS to me, not so much what it is but rather what i will be paying while at uni and later for a course such as software engineering at UNSW

chunder

HSC
why do people care so much about their hecs debt??? I just don't get it. Just incur as much debt as it is necessary to finish your degree and pay it off when required. It not like as if the repayments are unmanageable...u only make them when u start earning a decent salary.

The media and the labour party are always confusing their audience by implying that the financial burden suffered by those who pay full fees is similar to those incurring a hecs debt.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
chunder said:
why do people care so much about their hecs debt??? I just don't get it. Just incur as much debt as it is necessary to finish your degree and pay it off when required. It not like as if the repayments are unmanageable...u only make them when u start earning a decent salary.

The media and the labour party are always confusing their audience by implying that the financial burden suffered by those who pay full fees is similar to those incurring a hecs debt.

Im not worried about paying it, its just that it would be nice to know how much i will be paying, im not going to go into it not knowing how much it will cost me

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
chunder said:

Amen.

And the fact that 70-odd percent of your tertiary education costs are covered by the federal government is not nearly communicated enough.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
im willing to pay whatever it takes to get my degree, its so worth it as far as im concerned.

but i worked out the other night if i get my transfer, i will be up for $305xx by the time i finish (thats assuming i dont do any postgrad either), and 30 grand is a lot of money in anyones eyes.

but yeah, the deductions are so minimal, i mean even the highest bracket is only 6%, and really, if you can pay additional contributions, it wont be so bad.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I used to worry about having a HECS debt, and wanted to try to pay each semester up front so I wouldn't have to worry about it later on...but after first year, I gave in. Knowing you owe thousands of dollars isn't a nice feeling, but in reality, they take it out of you pay so gradually that you will probably barely notice.
Don't forget about textbooks and compulsary subscriptions though, that can be pretty hefty.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Screw it, just become a priest and you'll never have to pay it. I don't even think about my debt.

mishka

HSC
N/A
it might be alright if you become a doctor or something, but take for example my cousin, who went to uni to become a preschool teacher. She's barely over the minimum wage and will only be able to afford the minimum contribution this year. It's gonna be a long, hard road for her, but I guess she knew that before she embarked on tertiary education....

cko

HSC
hmm.... if uve been a permanent resident for 17 years u can just defer it right, n not pay up front?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)