HECS Fees have increased!!!! (1 Viewer)

RTTTYTR

HSC
Whats the story with HECS increasing? Since when where they allowed to increase it past what the Federal government allowed them to do in 2005? And why is it affecting students already enrolled?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I'm not sure if you are referring to anything in particular, but HECS fees do increase each year by a small percentage for all students.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
It's called inflation.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
You will also be shocked to know that HECS debts are indexed (adjusted for inflation) every year on the 1st of July.

jpr333

HSC
Weren't tagged to inflation the yr they increased 25% 2004-05, unless the CPI was way out that yr :p

rockets

HSC
N/A
Yeah, every year they go up. So don,t just allow for whatever the fees are next year but also yearly increases for the duration of your course.
If you sat down and worked out how much it cost u would be surprised and don't forget your only there for 2 x 13 week semesters per year!!!

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
jpr333 said:
Weren't tagged to inflation the yr they increased 25% 2004-05, unless the CPI was way out that yr :p
I'm no tax lawyer, but I know from experience that HECS is indexed annually - but no more. If yours went up 26% I'd be asking questions. HECS should be indexed (inflation) annualy which should be no more than 3% if P Costello does his job.

Maybe your HECS went up because you were at uni and it added a fee to your already existing balance? That sounds really basic?.....

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
jpr333 said:
obviously that was the year the HECS system was changed.

pre-2005 HECShttp://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/F...YourPlaceAndHECS-HELP/Pre2005HECSStudents.htm pay a lower rate. post-2005 HECShttp://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/Quickfind/PayingForYourStudiesHELPLoans/HECSHELP.htm pay the higher rate. HECS is indexed to CPIhttp://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/Quickfind/PayingForYourStudiesHELPLoans/HECSHELP.htm#11, but is otherwise interest-free.

none of this is new.

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Price increases are a normal part of every day life. It shouldn't come as a surprise any more... Besides, I thought they increase a little bit every year, anyway?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)