• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HECS 20% discount if you pay $500 or over (1 Viewer)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
what i meant was whole 20% over the whole hecs fee due when you pay the full amount
um never mind

CrashOveride

HSC
Bob.J said:
what i meant was whole 20% over the whole hecs fee due when you pay the full amount
um never mind
If you waned to pay the full amount, say your course was $4K, then you would only pay $3.2K

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
Im not gonna have enuf to cover my upfront HECS this semester. Ive been paying all of it all last year, so is it ok if I change It to just pay say 1k towards it.
Yes, you don't have to keep with the one payment method throughout your course.

dougthelegend

HSC
the simple explanation.
fees are say $5000 for the course per year, you have the option of paying this upfront and only paying $4000, or taking an interest-free loan from the government for the amount. Of course, you can do a little of both, pay as much or as little as you like and take a loan for the rest of it.

The loan is indexed at the rate of inflation each year, meaning you can end up paying more than you originally took out - but the difference is usually marginal at best.

The loan is payed back through the tax system (hence the need to provide your TFN), meaning you don't physically part with any money, just your first few jobs you'll get paid a little less than what you would if you didn't have to pay back your loan.

You don't start paying back the loan until you earn over a certain threshold amount, which again is indexed yearly so it changes, meaning when you're paying back the loan you won't be stone broke.

Personally i'll be deffering the whole amount, because the loan is interest free and the most flexible finance you'll get your hands on.

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
i chose partial payment for HECS on enrolment, and If i dont pay any money b4 31st March, would the system automatically change my HECS to full deferment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)