• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HAY GUYS! The Unions are sick of small crowds (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Generator said:
Why can't there be a 'neutral' option, too? By and large I supported the position leaning towards the left if I felt that I was actually in the middle, and that seemed to be the case for a number of the questions (The economic section in particular).
and suddenly we are a people divided...

Asquithian said:
I believe Generator is actually quite left... its just he phases his posts in more understanding and less attacking way.
I wonder how left he is after 8 beers, we'll get you yet Generator!

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
I think its about time I write to Tharunka...but wait, Gulfam probably won't publish my letter because
a) It's me
b) It doesn't support their view

Manoj Dias-Abey has got to be one of the most corrupt and self-interested individuals ever (and this is without regard to any bias after he called me inexperienced and told me I didnt know what I was doing)

Obviously I have issues with the Guild, but I guess this article further undermines my confidence in them.
This is what happens when the uni papers are run by immovable left-wingers

Why can't sane moderate positions prevail, or reasonable discussions from both sides be included, instead of extremes?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I feel there's alot more descention on the left. For example, i'd say Asquithian is quite different to Comrade Nathan, as they both are different to Zahid (who seems to have a distain for human life =/)

I'd say on the right, the only difference would be wether you're a religious conservative or not.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
You will find that the arguments run by both sides are often pretty stupid.
Stupid arguments from both sides is better than stupid arguments soley from the left :p

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I feel there's alot more descention on the left. For example, i'd say Asquithian is quite different to Comrade Nathan, as they both are different to Zahid (who seems to have a distain for human life =/)

I'd say on the right, the only difference would be wether you're a religious conservative or not.
I would not like to meet the person who called you a "bleeding heart buddhist hippy"...

they're either completely stoned or off the bloody compass

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Most of the uber SUPER enthusiastic pro VSU stuff comes from far right/redneck/homophobic/racist/fascists who don't want a cent of their money going to anyone who holds different beliefs to themselves. Namely homosexuals, women (that's for you phanatical), migrants, or anything that is not related directly to their interests.
Since you fall into none of those categories I would assume that you know near nothing of what they get from the unions and only hear second hand from sources about what they get?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well one of my qualms is with the compulsary sport fees - no way in hell should that be obligatory

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Thats the point. VSU often site these examples when...well...have you ever seen these services? they don't actually exist on a very large scale.
Yes I have. The food presented was better than I can afford to eat at home.

ohne

HSC
According to the political compass my views are most in common with the British liberal democrats and leaders like Tony Blair are too right wing for me. I think it is possible that the political compassis not entirely accurate.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
but but but sport is so important!!!!

thats un australian moonlight :p
Yes John would be irritated

I have nothing against sport, but most people don't come to uni to play sport (only about 25% of uni members use the sports facilities I believe)

(and besides I have my own damn benchpress, not paying for other people's!)

ohne said:
I think it is possible that the political compassis not entirely accurate.
hehe I agree

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Would student unionism even be an issue if it wasn't on Howards agenda?

I don't think it would be so prolific. When i started uni, i forked out the appx $500 union fees for the semester. I didn't really question it.

USU-VSU is only something ppl talk about now becuase of the reforms that are coming. If the reforms weren't taking place, ppl wouldn't be as passionate about their stances as they are atm.

I'm taking a sitting on the fence approach. Both sides have their merit. I don't see why unions can't just reduce their rates. Not all uni's charge around $500 for union fees. When it comes to the "what benefit do i get from paying $500 p/sem" argument, I'd be just as happy to be a member if the amount wasn't as high

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sarah said:
USU-VSU is only something ppl talk about now becuase of the reforms that are coming. If the reforms weren't taking place, ppl wouldn't be as passionate about their stances as they are atm.
They wouldn't be talking about it, that's true. But their views would still be quite defined if they were to have thought about it.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Minai can take solace from the fact no reads thurunka
I do! :eek:

Although, it's published every 3 weeks and the articles are ok. It would be better if they raised substantial issues in it though

HSC
Sarah said:
Would student unionism even be an issue if it wasn't on Howards agenda?

I don't think it would be so prolific. When i started uni, i forked out the appx $500 union fees for the semester. I didn't really question it.

Personally, I've resented the way I've seen my money wasted since the start, though at the same time acknowledge the benefits which it does provide (In some cases). I've often discussed this in fairly close circles previously, though of course never in terms of VSU/USU, because to be honest I didn't think it was a potential solution previously. If this results in a more appropriate allocation of union funds, I'm all for it, and I'm thoroughly enjoying (For the most part), the *intelligent* discussion from both sides of the fence.

walrusbear

HSC
Asquithian said:
Its hard to care anymore when we all know its going to happen. I still don't understand why people like the idea of less services even if it is at their own personal cost. The whole idea is pretty selfish. Like who are sooo very much in pro of VSU. Wow you get to save 500 bucks services die and truly disadvantaged people loose services they needed (I dont want to hear any winging from white middle class males/females who think they are serverly disadvantaged)

Most of the uber SUPER enthusiastic pro VSU stuff comes from far right/redneck/homophobic/racist/fascists who don't want a cent of their money going to anyone who holds different beliefs to themselves. Namely homosexuals, women (that's for you phanatical), migrants, or anything that is not related directly to their interests. Despite the nice community we live in being moulded by such people. I'm thinking SDA, RDA protections of rights and freedoms in the constitution, women moving out of the kitchen, recognition that aboriginal people exist[ed], end of white Australia policy (Started by Holt finished off by Whitlam) and about x 1000 other reforms that people seem to take for granted. A great society is not created by listening to the apathetic majority.

VSU does mean the end of unions. Which of course is a shame.

I'd like to see unionism within the university stay however there are issues in the way in which they spend their money. There needs to be a shift in focus back to what the union does for students. Despite the fact that Australia has a shocking, horrible human rights record and that people are locked up in detention centres in the middle of the desert for upwards of 7 years whereas the UK doesnt hold anyone longer than 10 days does not bother your average maths student or engineer with body odour problems, nor does it worry a commerce student. Sure it is wrong but no one gives a fuck because they only care about themselves anyways.

As mentioned the unions at unsw are hopeless in terms of winning support. In a campus made up mainly of poorly dressed grunting engineers impersonating kel from Kath and Kim (rather badly), mad christians, and commerce students, who have the conscience of your average robotic vacuum cleaner, the union stating that it is 'striking' is totally usless. Even from someone like me who is sympathetic to the whole idea.
well said
for the most part

K

katie_tully

-wipes brow-

Not-That-Bright said:
Katie Tully is left? OH MERCY!
It's okay darling, I haven't joined the dark side. I was suprised by that too, but I'm happy with being centre right, rather than fanatical die hard righty tighty.

Last edited by a moderator:

walrusbear

HSC
Asquithian said:
Sorry if I offended any engineers who do not copy kath and kim on the bus or have body odour problems or non robotic commerce students (Usually international business majors)
your commerce student call was the best part :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)