Having a part-time job during the HSC (1 Viewer)

AtlasX

HSC
Hey there,
I'm contemplating whether or not to get a job during the HSC
However, I'm afraid if I'll get less time to study, do assignments, homework etc.
But, the reason I want to get a job is so I can buy more stuff for school (study guides etc.) and because I'm getting a tutor, so I can pay for the tutor.
So should I?

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
How many hours do you intend to participate in part time work each week?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
15 hours in 2 days? What times would these be? I am presuming this would be during the weekends.
I think OP would probably be working 7-8 hours a day on both days of the weekend.

15 hours on two days is a bit of overkill. Maybe spread it out to 3 or 4 days if possible. I used to exercise and have other commitments for 15 hours a week during HSC but would still keep one day of the week free for study (usually Saturday).

studybuddy101

HSC
limit it to 12 hours a week. heading up to exams cut it back to one shift on a weekend. In actual exam periods it's best to avoid work altogether unless you think you can handle it. You shouldn't be working at all during the final hsc period though (unless you're uber confident or have a large gap and need a few hours to move around and clear your head - but i would just play a sport or something instead).

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I once read somewhere that 9 hours is the recommended hours of part time work for senior years, you need to take into consideration the fact you will feel tired after work, whereas if one is playing sport, they will actually often feel more energised after the physical exercise, so you need to take into account the possible rest times resulted from feeling exhausted from work into your total work hours as well to see just how many hours are left for study besides tutoring and how confident you are in handling this workload. I would strongly advise you to dramatically cut down on the 15 hour weekly workload if you wish to attain a high ATAR. Remember, never lose sight of your ultimate goal, which is to attain the ATAR you need to get into the university course you want.

enoilgam

HSC
It really depends on you, if you feel comfortable with it, then I'd say do it. To be honest, people make a big deal out of getting a job during the HSC, but you are going to have to learn to juggle work and other commitments with study during university anyway (you will most likely need work experiences to at least have a chance of gaining an industry relevant job post-graduation). That being said, dont feel the need to over do it with work.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I worked at KFC 12 hours a week during prelims and HSC. I didn't have enough time to study when combined with school, work, church and extra-curricular activities etc... I still graduated with an ATAR of 91.9 but you know... Could have done better had I managed my time well.

If you wanna work, do it. It depends on how you manage your time and how well you study.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
Picked up freelance writing gigs online in Year 11 and kept some of them going through Year 12. Best thing about this was that I could just work from home and fit it around other things. I was aiming to do a media degree (which I then did) and factored it into my scholarship application. So if you can get some kind of gig or work experience in the sector you're aiming for career-wise (or if it's just something quite technical or unusual) then I'd really suggest keeping at it.

Like enoilgam says, balancing competing priorities is a big part of life anyway, so the earlier you get some practice doing so the better. Just make sure you're learning something at the same time - not just to get the money (though that is admittedly an important consideration too). New skills and experiences are worth far more in the long run.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
I think having a part-time job is good for developing your time management skills.

Personally, I asked my work to cut down my hours to a maximum 8 hours a week.

How many other commitments do you have? I have school and work, that's it, so I have a fair bit of spare time, which can be utilised working.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Hey

Anyone here knows how to apply for a job at a tutoring place marking homework while still in high school?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)