• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Having a break before Teritary study (1 Viewer)

spillargroove

HSC
It would be good if this was aimed at those currently at University. Right now, I probably would head straight into University next year but a person I know spoke to me about not going there straight away. Do you think it is wise to decide not to go to University straight away next year, work for a whole year (or further research possible career paths to make decisions better) and then reapply for Tertiary study in 2007? What would be some restrictions or disadvantages doing this?

The Hoff

HSC
N/A
u dont reapply, presuming you get into your course u just defer and then ur automatically qualified to commence it in 2007.

i jumped straight into uni fresh outta school and i just found that during that first semester i was bored and wasnt motivated........id skip lectures and shit all the time and just wasnt really enjoying myself, and i didnt like living week by week moneywise

so i deferred my second semester and am now working full time, and im only 18 and the head office manager's seen potential in me and now im managing the office here at my campus, in charge of people 5 years older than me and stuff. not only is this great life experience, and work experience, its motivated me to do well and i am well and truly to go back to study, and not only that but by the time my 18 month period is up i will have earned enough money to qualify for youth allowance coz my parents earn too much, so ill be getting $230 a fortnight from centrelink for doing nothnig. on top of that, if i decide to move out of home and live on campus ill get $400 a fortnight which will pay for my rent and living expenses and everything.

so yeah it has those benefits plus i just think i have more life experience as well as money behind me which really helps, and the time off really has given me time to think about what i really wanna do.

at the end of the day, each person's different so there's not right or wrong answer, but for me personally it's one of the best choices ive made so far

The Hoff

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
If you want to go to uni but have a great its best to defer. That way your position is safe.
I deferred. I definetly could not go to uni straight after high school. I needed a break and I needed to earn money
sounds break

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
There's really no need to defer for a whole year. You get 4 months break between HSC and Uni - surely that's enough to sort out whatever you need to?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
If you wanna work to save up or travel or something then yeah... if you are going to sit on your ass for a year, or work but spend it frivolously on crap, or only work about 15 hours a week...you may as well be at uni. Some people want a break, some people don't. I went straight to uni from school and it was fine for me, I also worked a hell of a lot in my first year at uni and earlier this year, and that suited me fine but my degree doesn't have a huge amount of contact hours, so really it depends on you and how you feel and if you need to save up money and the like.

phrred

HSC
Why dont you work and travel after your degree?
Ull b making more when ur a graudate than at maccas or sumthn

Lu Lu

HSC
I took a year off to work and it was the best decision of my life. During the HSC I knew i wanted to go to uni but i wasn't sure of what i was going to do so I applied for random courses and got into UWS which I then deffered for the year. I worked full time four days a week at a chemist and 2 days in a real estate business for the from the year and 4 months. OMG it nearly killed me but it definatly made me realise that i needed to go to uni or I would kill someone if i continued to work in retail.

Basically taking the year off ment that i saved alot of money, could claim indepences from my parents for youth allowance, could get my head back together after the HSC and could find out info about uni's, scholarships and accomodation which i didn't to when selecting my prefernces in 2003. I do know people that went straight to uni and that has worked for them so its really your own decision but if i did it again i would do it exactly the same.

Lu Lu

HSC
I'm still younger than some of the school leavers! But being younger or older is not a prob at uni as long as your 18 - if your under 18 i think it would suck severely cause you can't out!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
05er said:
I'm going straight to uni; I couldn't stand having people younger than me finish a degree before I do.
Well then don't take anything like a combined degree or any other 4 year course. God forbid someone finishes before you.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
plus no-one tends to care about age @ uni... everyone just blends in (esp. if they're in the 18-25 age bracket).

05er

HSC
Xayma said:
Well then don't take anything like a combined degree or any other 4 year course. God forbid someone finishes before you.
Gosh, you just don't get it; do you? Combined courses are okay, I just couldn't stand being 'old' for my course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)