Haven't learnt anything for Chem... (1 Viewer)

MarzEz

HSC
Hey all, I have a problem. A massive problem.
I've been going through the Success One book (Past HSC papers) for Chemistry, and I've come to the realisation that I haven't actually learnt anything at all in Chemistry in the past two years. So, although I'm only two days out from the exam, does anyone know of any way to study only what I need, or where I can find a list of all the basics I need to learn?
Or am I just well and truly screwed?
I'm not trying to ace the exam or anything, but it would be nice to at least pass.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
You need to know everything. No point doing past papers, if you you don't understand the content. Read through notes till exam.

katoji

HSC
If you can, try and get HSC questions by topic. Struggle through the questions, look at the solutions, then do them again without any help. Make notes on those questions. Do one topic at a time.

That's what I did for 2 unit. I left study until 4 days before the exam. I came out of the exam relieved - I could do most questions.

MarzEz

HSC
Thanks for the advice. Notes and HSC answers it is.
(I'm now glad I have a good set of notes, and didn't miss any lessons.)

hscrabbit

HSC
Hey all, I have a problem. A massive problem.
I've been going through the Success One book (Past HSC papers) for Chemistry, and I've come to the realisation that I haven't actually learnt anything at all in Chemistry in the past two years. So, although I'm only two days out from the exam, does anyone know of any way to study only what I need, or where I can find a list of all the basics I need to learn?
Or am I just well and truly screwed?
I'm not trying to ace the exam or anything, but it would be nice to at least pass.
Yess!!! I'm not the only one :) Don't worry, I'm doomed as well!!!! And I've got modern history tomorrow, so you're lucky

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
You're pretty much stuffed up!!! :\

What I'd suggest you do is to focus on your options (industrial chem or forensic or shipwrecks or etc etc etc.) as your options will have very specific questions that will need to be answered in detail. It's bad enough that you 'haven't learned anything' for past 2 years, but I guess you can aim for a b4 at least. What's your assessment mark for chem btw?

For the core exam, focus on getting most marks out of Multiple choice and perhaps a few short answer questions. If you're unsure and can't elaborate on your answer, just write in dot-point form.

I hope you get a good mark for your sake!

Aindan

HSC
I've come to the realisation that I haven't actually learnt anything at all in Chemistry in the past two years.
Surely you should have realised this when you were doing exams??? Like how can you fail so bad?
What you should do now is read through your notes and link it to the relevant syllabus dotpoints; there really isn't much you can do now at this momment in time =/

RANK 1

HSC
memorise the extended 5-6 mark responses is pretty much the only thing you can do to ensure a pass

SonOfAGun

Banned
HSC
you dont need to pass OP. im in the same situation as you and im aiming for a low band 4 on wednesday, just aim for about 40 raw.

MarzEz

HSC
Once again, thanks to all for the advice.

Isho: Not sure what my assessment mark is, my teacher didn't exactly keep me well informed. (Had a substitute for the last term, as well.) I don't think the final marks are released until the 11th.

Also, another general question; Am I correct in saying that if I study 13 units, the lowest 3 don't count? I seem to recall that was how the ATAR system worked...

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
you dont need to pass OP. im in the same situation as you and im aiming for a low band 4 on wednesday, just aim for about 40 raw.
Why aim so low? Aim higher. Your atar aim is high too!

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Once again, thanks to all for the advice.

Isho: Not sure what my assessment mark is, my teacher didn't exactly keep me well informed. (Had a substitute for the last term, as well.) I don't think the final marks are released until the 11th.

Also, another general question; Am I correct in saying that if I study 13 units, the lowest 3 don't count? I seem to recall that was how the ATAR system worked...

Your Assessment mark would have been given to you on your graduation day (most likely). It's the blue folder, it contains your assessment mark for all your subjects.

If you have 13 units, then that means only 10 of your units will be counted. So I guess you can afford to stuff up Chemistry.

MarzEz

HSC
It's the blue folder, it contains your assessment mark for all your subjects.
...I don't recall ever being given a blue folder. It could be a school-specific thing. I know my assessment mark won't be too high, though, since I was terrible with handing practicals in. I think they affect it - unless that's my class mark I'm thinking of, in which case I have no idea.

bikinigal

HSC
N/A
Your Assessment mark would have been given to you on your graduation day (most likely). It's the blue folder, it contains your assessment mark for all your subjects.
Not at our school - the blue folder contained the final year report citing an exam mark (the trial HSC result) and an assessment rank but no mark. I don't know of any schools who DO give an assessment mark out at the end of Yr 12. Some don't even give out the rank!! Even if a student makes an approximation of their assessment mark (based on the individual task % info they would have received at the beginning of Yr 12) this still may not be the actual school assessment marks that are sent to BOS - ie teachers may determine that the actual assessment marks are not really reflective of their students' abilities and may (slightly) compress the "gaps" (while of course still maintaining their actual rankings).

MarzEz

HSC
Just found some info on Students Online:
Your school is not allowed to tell you your final assessment marks. However, they should tell you where you are placed in each course (your 'rank').
Not sure if this helps.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Very strange. In that portfolio last year, I received my final school report that contained our trials marks and rankings + a paper that outlined my assessment marks for all 5 subjects.

Aindan

HSC
schools do things differently - at my school we are given our cumulative ranks after most assessments, other schools choose not to give it at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)