Have to pass exam to pass the unit. (1 Viewer)

bimatty

HSC
Has anyone ever had this? I did PSY 122, and it said that we have to pass the exam to pass the unit. I detested this unit, yet got a solid 33/50 for the non-exam components. How is it fair, if, say I get, 23, that I have to do this dreadful subject again? This is not really common protocol, too, so why do some units do it?

Blizane

HSC
Thats been the case for most of my exams, just suck it up and be done with it.

And try to think of it from their point of view, y'know, they're trying to maintain the quality of their graduates. How would you like it if you were on trial for murder and found out your lawyer failed their final exam on Criminal Law?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's extremely common protocol. In fact, I don't think I've sat a subject that had a final exam where this wasn't the case.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Its common in most units across all universities. However some units specify that you need a 50% overall. So if you get 30/50 in the assessments section then you only need 20/50 to pass the unit. However most of the time you will need to make up for the marks you lost so if you get 20/50... you'll need a 30/50 in the finals or they specify that you must pass the exam in order to pass the unit.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
It's extremely common protocol. In fact, I don't think I've sat a subject that had a final exam where this wasn't the case.
+1 It's almost the rule rather than the exception, you'll get used to it soon.

Bimatty - think of it this way, if you're sitting on pass for your assessments going into the final, and you get a pass or above in your exam, you'll get a credit or above :D

bimatty

HSC
Wow, that amazes me. This is THE first time that I've ever had a unit that stresses that you need to pass the exam to pass the unit itself.

I understand what you guys are saying, but what if someone performs really well throughout the semester, but then nerves affect them in the final exam. I find that really unfair.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Wow, that amazes me. This is THE first time that I've ever had a unit that stresses that you need to pass the exam to pass the unit itself.

I understand what you guys are saying, but what if someone performs really well throughout the semester, but then nerves affect them in the final exam. I find that really unfair.
I see your point but the cut off for the exam is usually around 40-50%. If you (not you specifically, but a generic you) can't operate at half the expected capacity in a stressful situation, then maybe you shouldn't be passing

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I don't think I've ever had a final exam where I didn't need to pass in order to pass the unit. Yeah it's stressful and some people at other universities might have it easier, but on the bright side I guess in the long term it develops your coping and stress management skills

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)